Chapter 21

Stan had waited for the whole day to pass by. Waiting for an opportunity to talk with Trent. He knew that that wasn't the best idea, but if he talked with him alone then he'd have a better chance to get answers in a more peaceful manner. Questions had swirled around his head. He tried to piece them together in a less threatening manner – hoping that Trent wouldn't see it as disrespect. If he did, it'd be a coffin for him, not simply just a beating.

The seconds ticked by, quickly turning into minutes that turned into hours. Time went by slowly. Stan had done recon and stakeouts that had felt a lot faster than this. He sat on his spot on the dumpster lid, waiting for Trent to make a round by him.

The night was still. It had gotten dark earlier than he had expected. Being in an alley with a lamp post didn't result in too much of a difference from the darkness, but the little bit of light helped regardless. His spot was about a block and half from where he had found Ashley. The sight lingered in his mind. He hated the vision. Seeing her bloody body crumpled up on a dirty floor that had been previously bleached clean from someone else's blood. He figured someone had probably already done that with her blood.

He reached into his sweatshirt pocket and felt the little gun he had went back to grab after the ordeal. He knew that she'd need it. There was no need in letting some other dirty bastard get his hands on the weapon that wasn't rightfully theirs. It was the least that he could do for her at this point. He'd kind of grown fond of her having it after she had drawn it on him multiple times already. He had been able to observe how fast she could be when necessary. It was important in this line of work.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say that you were waiting for me." Trent slithered into the alley way. His dark eyes eyed up the man. "What'd you want to ask me?" He leaned up against the wall on the opposite side of Stan. He was quiet and sneaky, but far from being understanding like he tried to portray. Maybe it was his sad attempt at regaining more loyalty.

Stan spotted the bruising on the leader's fists as he crossed his arms and looked at him. "Why'd you want me to bring her to the cop?" He started out with an obvious question. He was curious about it and it was distant enough of a question not to spark too much concern in the man's mind.

Trent watched him for a moment before responding. "He'll make sure she gets better, quick enough for the plan. It's just simple common sense, Stan." He drawled out. There was an element of cockiness inching its way into his voice.

"What if you incriminate yourself by doing that? It sounds like a stupid plan to me."

"Nobody asked your opinion, Stan. Remember that nobody cares about it either. It'll keep you alive longer if you don't forget that." Trent glowered at him. There was no doubt of his irritation of being even close to being referred to as stupid. "Besides, Ashley knows that if she breathes a word that she might as well be dead. Remember that about yourself."

Stan locked away the threat. It wasn't the first time that he'd heard something similar from the cocky bastard. "Won't forget it." His voice was strong and unnerved. "Why'd you rape her?"

A wicked smile spread across Trent's face. "Open your eyes, man. Have you seen how tight and beautiful her body is? Tell me you wouldn't ride that pretty little pussy?" His eyebrow began to arch. "Or are you jealous that we didn't let you have your turn?"

Stan hid his disgust and anger. "She's not my type." He said casually, jumping up off of the dumpster. He prayed he could control his temper before it began flaring. "If I wanted to ride her, I wouldn't have waited to be invited to the party." He began walking away from the leader.

"Watch your steps, newbie. Nobody rides anyone without my okay." His voice was dark and dangerous, yet alluring in a morbidly disturbing way. He stepped closer to Stan, closing the distance between the two men.

Stan turned to face him again. "I don't need to tie them up and beat them first either. I can get in a lady's pants without that." It was his turn to return the cockiness. There was nothing pleasant about the conversation. If Trent wanted to play a dirty little game, then Stan would oblige him.

Trent closed the distance between the two and stood toe to toe with Stan. "Watch your mouth. Ashley knew how to disrespect me and she didn't give a damn. A price was to be paid. She knew that she asked for her punishment. You do not disrespect me the same way, or the consequences will be far worse for you."

Stan kept his eyes locked on the leader. He could feel the heat of his breath on his face. There was no shifting, no wiggling out of the situation. If Trent wanted a run for his money then Stan would give it to him. The defiance couldn't be erased from his eyes and he couldn't stop the words from stumbling out of his mouth. "Treating women the way that you have been will lead to you losing followers that are trustworthy. Treat women right and you may be able to redeem yourself. Touch Ashley like that again and I will kill you." His voice was low and dangerous. His intentions were dark and clear.

Trent's anger was beginning to inch free. He had done well at hiding it, but now it was ringing loud and clear through the darkness in his eyes. He jabbed a finger into Stan's chest. "Don't you dare threaten me. I can kill you for it. And don't you dare bark out orders for how you think things should be done." He kept his voice low, but venom flung from each word that jumped out of his mouth. He spoke quiet enough to keep his words and threats from echoing off the bricks that made up the alley's walls.

"Kill me and you're down another man for your crew and for your precious take over." Stan's body was so close to Trent's that a hair could barely fit in between the pair. He fought the urge to push the man back, away from him. "I stood back and let you rough her up. I stood back when you threatened her. I stood back while you beat her to nearly nothing. You make it pretty damn hard to follow you, boss, when you have no respect for anyone but yourself. Figure out your shit before you ask me to do anything more for you." His voice was sharp enough to slice the air in between them. He could see Trent's anger remain, but a fear was entering his gaze. Stan had known how to stand up to criminals. He knew how to strike fear into them. It came easy enough for him. It was high time he threw a little bit of that fear into their leader.

Stan whirled around and stalked off into the darkness. He knew that if Trent had enough time to think about it, he'd throw a few punches into the him. Stan knew how to block them and return them, but fighting was not the best choice at this time. He wanted to give the man a lesson, but right now it wasn't the right time.

The thought of the right time having to come around sooner rather than later was the only thing that kept him sane. He had a job to do, but seeing people be killed and pushed around had never been something he could sit by and say was okay – even if they deserved the nasty deeds done to them. However, when he knew who the person was that did it it didn't take him long to want to put an end to the source of the problem.

************************************

Oooooh! A little heat between Stan and Trent?

I kind of wanted to see some punches thrown, but you know, I guess Stan decided to be all responsible. Gosh!

LOL! Just kidding! He probably made the right decision.

What do you guys think? What did you want to see here? Did Stan do the right thing?

Like, Comment, Vote :)