Chapter 30

"Better figure out how to get rid of the hangover, Dom. We have runs to do later this afternoon." Liv's voice rang out loud and clear as she took apart his kitchen for food.

Dom held his head. He looked at the clock on the stove as he stumbled into the kitchen. It was almost one in the afternoon. He groaned as the light from outside caught his vision. The loud thudding in his head made him lean against the wall and slide down into a sitting position.

"You slept all night and most of the day away already." Liv commented. She poured some orange juice in a glass and handed it to him. He didn't remember having any juice in the fridge though. "You have like nothing in your house. I had to go grocery shopping for you. You owe me thirty-two dollars and fifty-seven cents."

Dom groaned again, but tightly gripped the glass, one hand still on the temple of his head. "I feel like crap."

"You look like it too. There's a reason why people in bad shape shouldn't drink. At least not drink tequila. That was just plain stupid." Her opinion was obvious. Her irritation mixed with a tiny bit of feeling bad for him.

"You could be nicer to me, you know." He suggest and carefully sipped the juice.

"You broke my new friend's heart and you've been a jerk. Why the hell should I be nice to you?" She kept her voice gentle, regardless of the sharpness of her words.

Dom moaned again. "Don't remind me. I already feel terrible about it all."

"You should!" She rose to her feet. "Now get up and fix that hangover. I want to be out on the streets within the next few hours. There's no need to be dropping in on families getting ready to have a nice evening."

Dom sipped more of his orange juice. "Just give me a few minutes." He hoped he wouldn't puke, but things weren't looking that great for him with that idea.

"Go try to take a shower. You smell gross." Her nose wrinkled up. She began digging in the freezer. "I'll get you some breakfast made. It might help your head."

"I messed up." He kept his eyes pinched shut, letting the orange juice try to settle in his queasy stomach.

"There's no doubt about that. Get over it." She snapped at him. Within a few steps she was next to him, peeling the orange juice out of his trembling fingers. She set it up on the counter next to them and reached down for him. Forcefully, she pulled him to his feet and toward the bathroom. She had already piled some clean clothes next to the sink for him. "Take a shower." She growled.

He waited for her to leave the bathroom before he quietly closed the door. He leaned over the sink and stared at himself in the mirror. He looked a mess. His eyes looked bloodshot and tired. His face was pale and spent. Some of his mid-length, nearly black hair had pulled its way out of the pony tail that normally kept it held back.

He pulled away from the sink to start the shower. His head felt like it could explode. He wanted to go back to bed. This is why he didn't drink this much. It was stupid. Almost nothing was worth feeling this way afterward for.

He stripped his shirt off. His tight body shuddered when a chilly breeze hit him. He turned around to see the small window open a crack. His brows knit together as he reached over to shut it. He finished stripping down before crawling into the water. It did feel good washing over him and the steam hitting his face. It was undeniably pleasurable.

He leaned his head against the shower wall as he thought about Ashley. He couldn't help but wish that she had been in there with him. He shook his head. What had he been thinking? It had been a risk being with her, but now things would change. He wouldn't have the warmth radiating inside of him from having someone that loved him there to remind him that he wasn't a complete screw-up. He had a chance for a do-over. A chance to prove that he could take care of someone that loved him. He threw that chance out.

He gave himself some more time to clean up and try to get the smell of booze off of his skin. His hand reached over and turned the water off. He just stood there for a few minutes to give some time for him to come out of the daydream that the heat had pushed him into. Methodically, he dried off and slid on the clothes that had been laid out for him.

In spite of the jerk he had been, he couldn't believe how Liv still stood by him. She was faithful. It was a fault and a strength that she couldn't lose. It wasn't possible. He didn't deserve it. Not by any means, but he appreciated the kindness.

He brushed his teeth quickly. He knew that it was pretty useless to do, but he needed the nasty aftertaste of booze and sleeping with his mouth open gone. His head still hurt, but not nearly as much as it had. He threw in some eye drops to take away the bloodshot streaks coursing through his eyes. No need for himself to look like he had been hung-over for their work later.

He opened the door to be greeted by the smell of breakfast food. He hadn't been too sure that he could stomach anything, but the smell of eggs and toast and hash browns changed his mind quickly. A little bacon mingled in among the smells assaulting his nose. "Dang, Liv. It smells good out here."

Liv had plated him up and plate. She had a plate already eaten off of in front of her. "I know. I couldn't wait for you." She said as she spotted him coming toward the food. "Eat up. I need you looking full and ready to work."

Dom flashed her a smile. "Thank you for everything. You know you're the best right?"

"Eh, I'm average. Anyone can do this. But thanks anyway." She said simply. The dishes had already been washed and were drying. She paused for a moment before pulling her gaze up to meet his. "I'm still not okay with what you did and I'm not happy with you, but I've got your back. I can set my feelings aside and still do my work well. I expect you to do the same."

"I know." He was kind of taken back by what she said, but he knew that she was right. He needed to hear that. He needed to know where she was at with things. He never doubted that he could trust her though. "I'll always have your back, Liv, when I'm around you."

She was clearly weighing out his words before she silently nodded and took a sip of her juice. It was clear that she still wasn't pleased with him, but in time he knew that he could change that with her. The question was, would Ashley ever forgive him for what he had done? Or would she put a bullet in him at the very first chance she would have?

Only time would tell. Or could tell.

------------------------------------------------------

Well, wasn't quite the storm yet.

I know, I know...

But, hey! I'm keeping you on edge! ;)

Like, Comment, Vote :)