Chapter 17

Content Warning: Aftermath of violence. Retelling of graphic violence. Language.?

************************************

Stan had been scanning the local neighborhoods for Ash, but had been unproductive in his search for her. He figured that he should keep an eye out for her after her run in with Trent the day before. There had been no way of him knowing what she had said to the leader, but Stan had seen the rage in Trent's eyes the second after Ashley left. He knew that repercussions would follow the rash decision.

It was still early in the morning, but the grass was nearly dry. He'd mainly stuck to the sidewalks so the dampness hadn't gotten on his boots. He knew that going under cover to gather enough intel to find out how to dismantle Trent's gang wouldn't be easy. He never thought that he'd get involved with wanting to protect anyone, but times had quickly changed his mind as soon as he had seen the struggles Ashley was going through – and had went through for that matter. He could see why his brother extended his right hand out to the girl. It made sense. Especially in a fatherly sort of way.

Stan inched his way back to the Compound. Maybe Ashley was back there or maybe someone had seen her. He'd be relieved once he knew that she was alright. Once he knew that, he could get back to snooping. That was the main goal of this mission. He needed to stay focused, but saving people along the way was a fair substitute as well. Substitute didn't sound quite right. Addition was a better way of putting it. He wanted to both save people, as well as shut down another gang – no matter how small or how unimportant some may think it was.

Stan's back tensed as he watched Trent and Eddie come out of their room of torture. Trent's hands were bloody. He held his belt next to his side – obvious that he had used it on some poor, helpless victim. Pleasure was curled around his lips as he glanced up in time to see Stan paused near to where they were.

"Stan, come here." He beckoned him over. His toothy grin seemed genuine, yet part of it was forced. He waited until Stan was standing in front of him. "I have a job for you."

"Sir?" Stan was curious and he showed it, but he hid the part that was afraid to know who Trent's new victim was. He kept his eyes on the leader, but they wanted to wonder to the room behind him.

"Do you know of some Officer Tom, or something similar to that name, that Ashley knows?" Trent watched him carefully. He was just as curious as Stan to know what he knew. "I'm trying to find a messenger to deliver him a message." He said casually.

"I've heard the name before. I'm sure I could find him if that's what you want." Stan was beginning to get very leery of this idea. What kind of message could Trent possibly want to tell his brother? Did he know something that he didn't? Stan hid his desire to dig deeper and push the buttons that could offer serious ramifications in return.

"It's what I want. If you can get the job done there'll be a reward in it at the end for you." Trent watched him cautiously. Weighing out how faithful this man was to him. He knew the right words would tell him all.

"Sir, I work for you. I obey my orders, no reward needed." Stan showed his confusion. It was time to get down to business, no more stalling. "What's the message?"

Trent watched him for a brief, precise moment. He couldn't hide his skepticism, but the trust began flowing out, as his straight face broke into a smile. He huffed out a laugh. "Good man. Good man." He patted his bloodied hand on Stan's shoulder. He could feel the pat through his leather jacket, but ignored it. They weren't friends. They were more enemies than Trent realized. "I need you to bring little Ashley in here, to him. He can take care of her before she comes running back to us. We don't need to provide a babysitter and listen to her whining."