Chapter 8

**Short chapter alert!**

**********************************

Trent hadn't been kidding when he had said things were going to change a few weeks ago. Ashley hadn't taken much time to mourn, she needed to keep an eye over her shoulder. Without Cam here to protect her or be a threat, things were more risky with every move she made. She didn't dare let herself be alone around just one of the guys ever. They looked at her differently. They looked at her as if she were a weak link. Did Cam really hold that much weight around everyone when he was alive? The lengths he went to protect her would forever be kept a secret and buried with him.

Stan had eventually given her her gun back, but not until he had been sure that she wasn't going to use it on someone unless necessary. She could feel his steady watch on her frequently. Perhaps he was trying to learn from her, or, perhaps he was told to keep an eye on her. She wasn't sure, but it definitely didn't put him on her favorite's list or make him any safer to be around.

Carefully, Ashley skidded around a few larger rocks next to a building. There was no need to be clumsy and trip over them. She apparently already looked weak, there was no need for one of the guys to see her trip. That would surely tie the knot on her weakness level.

"Ash, I want to talk to you." Trent's voice rang out not far behind her. It wasn't all that friendly and inviting, but she yielded to it. She could see him eyeing her up. He'd never looked at her quite that way before. His eyes paused on different curves that she tried to cover up with slightly looser clothing. Before, she had never really thought about her wardrobe and wore whatever she liked and felt comfortable in, but now it was a different story. A different stroke that was being played.

"What do you want, Trent?" She had waited a few more seconds than she cared for for an answer. It was time for her to question him. Her feelings for what had happened to Cam were still raw and fresh. It hadn't been long and she hadn't had time to heal. The hatred still burned inside of her.

"Play nice, Ash. It's a benefit that you're still alive. You owe me for that." He commented clearly and precisely.

"I owe you nothing." She spat out.

"Watch that mouth." He snatched her chin quickly. "I will make you pay for your mistake in my own way and in my own time. You're not the only one who will benefit from keeping you alive. You're mine to play with. Cam's not here to protect you and your little attitude any more."

Ashley swallowed hard. The nasty reality of life would be kicking in. It was something that would not be pleasant to learn or deal with. Any respect that once was there for her wasn't anymore.

"Don't have anything to say to me now, do you?" He said coolly. His breath brushed against her in a hot wave. The smell of booze lingered in his breath either from the night before or early that morning.

"Hitting the bottle already, Trent? It's a little early isn't it?" She glared at him.

He released her jaw and backhanded her. "When, what, and where I do things is my own damn business. You just do as you're told." He began walking away from her. "Watch your back, Ash. You're going to need to." He paused for a moment. "By the way, there's a job coming up soon that you'll be needed for."

Ashley didn't bother to watch him walk passed her and away. A combination of anger and fear filled her gut. There had been a reason why running when she had the chance sounded very good. Now that chance was slim, if even available still. Having protection and being safe no longer felt available. It was a luxury that she'd no longer have.

A job being offered to her was what she had wanted, but now she had an eerie feeling that it wasn't a very good thing. There was a good chance that this job was a way to eliminate her, while still benefiting Trent. It was awful that he'd try to trick her like that, but the likelihood seemed pretty likely.

Although most of his jobs were secret drug runs, it wasn't above him to throw in an occasional heist or do a rough up job for someone that he didn't like. None of them sounded all that pleasant to her, but she had to earn her keep and if that's what needed to be done to earn that keep then she'd do it. She no longer had Cam to protect her, she had to do what was asked of her and prove her worth. Her life was on the line.

********************************

Ooooh, a job? What kind of job? Makes you a little curious, doesn't it?

And now that Cam isn't there to protect her, I wonder how things will be different with this job. I have a feeling things are going to get a lot rougher...