Chapter 37

A week and half had went by quickly. Ash was still sore from the ordeal, but her wound was healing up rather nicely. Stan had talked with the judge in charge of her case and was able to get bail on her as long as he vouched that she wouldn't run before the trial took place.

She couldn't begin to express her gratefulness of not having to sit in jail until her court date. The court had still forced her to put on an ankle monitor. She could leave the house and walk around the town if she wanted to, but couldn't leave the town borders without being caught and put in jail. It was a small price to pay for the freedom that she was allowed. The only complaint she had was with the itchiness of the monitor around her ankle. It was irritating. At least it was waterproof though.

Stan had brought her back to Tom's place. He had told her that someone needed to keep an eye on his cat and she'd be perfect for it. She had yet to see the cat that Tom supposedly had. She knew it existed; the food was always gone. But where the hell was it?

Liv, Dom, and Stan took turns being with her. Making sure she was alright and didn't need anything. The company was beyond appreciated. She didn't know what she'd do without them. Real friends hadn't been a luxury that she had growing up. It was still weird to know that they were there for her. It was comforting though. Cam had been the last closest friend to her, and to have new, real friends was a blessing.

A knock on the door startled Ashley. She inched her way up from the couch, grabbing her side to better support herself. She was alone right now. Everyone else had things to get done. She was still important to them, but priorities began to ensue. They had jobs to do. Besides, none of them would knock if they were back. Stranger danger was in the air. The idea of a stranger at the door both intrigued and put a little fear inside her. She grabbed a knife and stuffed it in the back of her loose fitting sweatpants. "I'm coming." She called out to slow the knocking down.

Slowly, she opened the door. Keeping pressure on her wound. It might have been healing nicely, but that didn't take away the throbbing that still tormented her.

"Hi." A woman's voice spoke shyly. Her dark brown hair sat professionally styled at her shoulders. Her bright blue eyes stared back with hints of tears flickering in them. Her makeup perfectly done. She was maybe a year or two older than Ashley. Clearly, she had lived a better life, with her body showing her luscious curves and healthy skin. "Are you Ashley? Well of course your Ashley." She nervously laughed and outstretched her hand. "I'm Molly."

Ashley's mouth gaped open. She quickly rushed to shut it. "Hi... come in." She opened the door fuller and ushered the woman in. "You should have just came in. It is your father's house after all." She tried to keep her tone calm and tried to put on her best performance. This was Tom's daughter. It wasn't like she wasn't a super important person or something. Just keep your cool Ash. Don't say anything stupid. She was nervous. Talking to herself was never a good thing. Maybe the meds were stronger than she had thought.

"Thank you." She said gracefully. Her voice wavered a little as she spoke. Her nerves were just as evident. "I didn't want to scare you by coming in."

Ashley couldn't help but smile. "Probably a good idea." She pulled the knife from the small of her back and gently laid it on the counter. "Habit I guess."

She laughed. "I was raised by a cop. I would have done the same thing."

Ashley was relieved that the woman hadn't been outraged or surprised. She wasn't sure what to say next though. "I lived mainly on the streets and had to fend for myself most of the time. It just comes naturally to have a weapon close." She could have smacked herself after saying that. She didn't need the woman to feel bad for her.