Chapter 2

"It's not all here. Where's the last bag Ash?" Trent McKinton eyed up the nine small bags of powdery, white cocaine. Irritation flickered in his rough voice. He had a decent build as he stood up. A little taller than her, but way thicker, proving that he worked out to attain the muscle that he needed to run a gang. Angry tattoos lined up his arms in massive sleeves.

"There was hitch along the way. I lost a bag, but I got one of Zareavo's men locked up. I figured that it was worth the risk." Confidence in her decision was obvious in her strong voice.

"Well you figured wrong." He pinned her with a stare. His intimidating frame moved closer to her until he was standing right in front of her. "It isn't your damn right to give away my drugs. No matter how justified you think the situation is."

"I'm sorry. I - - I just thought that we could kill two birds with one stone. I figured you'd do the same thing, Trent." She stumbled over the words. She was too stubborn to take a step back. It was the safer way to show a little submission, but submitting had never been her thing. Several foster homes and running away had ensured that.

He reached down and tilted her chin up toward him. "Don't you ever try to put yourself in my shoes. Got it?" His threat breathed against her face, hinting of the booze and cigarettes that he must have had earlier.

"How am I supposed to do anything that you want if you don't let me take the initiative to make my own decisions? Quit berating me and let me make my own moves!" She snapped at him, not caring about any consequences. She'd always been vocal; there was no need to back down now.

Trent released her chin and backhanded her. The motion felt like a thousand little knives poking into her face at once in a brutal stinging sensation. Her breath hitched in her throat, as she looked in the direction her face had twisted. She had briefly lost her balance and stumbled back a few steps. He had pushed her around a little bit in the past, but never had hit her. It was a shock to say the least. And one that she wouldn't have expected. Trent had never been nice to her, but he'd also never shown her that he could beat her into submission; like a puppy having his nose rubbed in his own mess to prove that his actions were wrong. Her hand rose up over her cheek as she looked at him with her obvious surprise. She could taste blood seeping from her lip. She ignored it, knowing that it was the least of her worries at that moment. "What the..." She bit back the last word as she locked her eyes with his.

"Things are going to be different around here from now on Ash. You do as I say and don't ever backtalk. You just agree, okay?" He glowered over her. Watching for any form of resistance or rebellion. His blue eyes were stormy, proving his seriousness.

Ashley stood up straight. Her breathing was ragged as she caught her breath. Her eyes narrowed a little bit and her brows knitted together as she put her words together and made sense of what he said. "So you're saying that I can't speak my peace or opinion about something, and I have to do everything you say?"

"I knew you'd catch on quick." He wryly smiled. His voice bland and unconcerned. He turned around to walk back to the table with his drugs on it. He never did the dirty work and he never produced the drugs himself. He always bought from a supplier and dealt them out. It was more profitable and less risky that way. Even as a middleman, he made sure to keep a steady following for in his gang, just in case something went sideways. Gang wars had broken out for less than that.

Ashley couldn't stop her next words from stumbling out. She had to know. "Even if you want to get in my pants? I'm supposed to yield?"

Trent stopped and turned around. "Especially when I want to get into your pants. You do every fucking thing I want. Got it?" His brows whipped upward. He was waiting for her to retaliate. He was waiting for her to give him another reason to hurt her. Maybe it was the punishment that she'd get for losing some of his drugs? She wasn't sure.