Chapter 30: Who Did It?

Previously:

Before retreating from his thoughts and joining the real world, he assured himself of one thing.
'I made a promise.'

***

I feel like I haven't been doing my job very well recently. As well as not actually knowing anything anymore, I've been a terrible assistant. They're getting too close now that it's scary.  I know that the higher-ups aren't approving of our work in this district. We've only got one task and we're failing it - epically. I'm so terrified of what they'll do to me that I have no other options. They said they'd kill my family. Even if I was free - not bound by these invisible chains - there'd be no place for me. I'd have to stay like this as long as they knew me: never gaining trust, never gaining what I had before it was thrown away. It's impossible to go back to how everything was. I should've never gone to Professor Quirrell for extra tutoring that evening. In my quest to expand my mind, I was rewarded with an infinite limit on it. No turning back - we've gone too far. All I can do now is what I'm told.

***

These thoughts echo in my head as I make my way down to the kitchens. My shoes tap on the hard stone floor, the fireplace in the distance crackles. It's dinner so no one should be here; the house elves have gone to rest. My boss is waiting for me in our secret meeting place. I wish I could defy him, but this curse holds my everything back. A shiver runs down my spine as I near the heat of the kitchens. I'm so cold here. So alone. As I walk, the sound of my heartbeat gets louder. I carefully manoeuvre around the door, opening it as little as possible to reduce the sound. There's an unusual clatter as I enter, but my eyes catch no movement. This is getting worrying now. It's too silent and my breathing is too heavy - but I don't feel like I'm loosing air. The silence makes my ears ring. Checking for anyone watching, I slip into the only empty pantry. It's usually locked but the Professor has threatened one of the elves to give him the key. I think some kids cleared it out to spook people on Halloween, but they haven't refilled it. The door creaks shut behind me - it's pitch black now. I pull out my wand and flick it.
"Lumos!"
The Professor is waiting for me.

***

"Hello, Jayden. We've received news."
Oh god. Have they found it? What does he want me for?
"You've got a job."
Right. Yes. Job - we've got to get them out of here. They're going to ruin magic and the wizarding world: make it unpure. We have to stop them and prove we are the superior people.
"What can I do for you, sir?"
"We need to distract them. They are too close to... it, and they also suspect Abbott. Our subjects have suggested to start a large fire, and you blame their friend Adam Gale. He could get expelled or suspended. Invernias will obviously vouch for him and thus stall their plans about Hannah, which will slow them down with everything." He says this with a stone cold expression. "Even better if we can destroy something important or hurt a student."
This sounds like the best plot we've been assigned. I say so, and the professor agrees.
"But how will we get evidence to blame Gale?" I ask. "Dumble-bore won't suspend a student on another's word."
"Gale and Invernias come here a lot. Everyone knows. That old Ravenclaw painting in the hall near here has definitely seen them at some point. I'll just intimidate him into saying that they were here. We commence the plan after dinner ends. Dismissed." He hastily leaves. Wow, sir really has thought through this. Anyway, must be swift. I poke my head out of the pantry and see his robe just disappear through the door. No one must be here. I creep through the kitchen, making my way to the other exit. I think I can see something in the corner of my eye, but it's probably just my robe behind me.

***

At dinner, I realise how lucky I was to be chosen by the Dark Lord. Soon our cause will be furthered, and we'll be one step ahead of the others. I figured that I could blackmail Invernias into accusing Gale of setting fire to Hogwarts with evil intent. I could either say I'll give her information on Abbott if she helps, or that I'll ruin her reputation using that photo of her with Anderson. Sure, it's just them hugging but Draco will make her life hell for it, and the teachers won't like a first year sneaking out late at night - even if it wasn't recently. Wait. The headmaster is standing up. Dinner will be dismissed. I just need to remember the spell - 'Incendio'. Simple: we learned it in Herbology to deal with the Devil's Snare. The only problem is that I can't let any purebloods get injured.
"Hey, Draco." I whisper as Dumbledore bids the students goodnight. "Avoid the kitchens until tomorrow." Students begin to leave. Without letting him ask why, I slip away in the crowds - catching a nod from Professor Quirrell. I'm going to wait for a bit, then go to Gale and say I need to talk to him. After, as he leaves, I'll set the place on fire. That way, none of his friends will know where he was when it began. Then I'll deal with Invernias. Now we just have to find him.

***

"Come on. I need to speak to you in private." I'm dragging him down to the kitchens. This is going to work! I'm so excited.
"About what?! No. I need to talk to you." He's not actually trying to resist me, which is odd.
"What do you mean?" I scoff. The Professor taught me how to have more power over people in conversations through the way you speak. Always sarcastic and slightly annoying, like you know something they don't.
"You've been being so weird. Ever since we got here. I thought we were old buddies..."
Aha! I've got him! I just have to play along!
"Yes. That's what I was going to say. I wanted to apologi-"
"And Emma says that you're doing something with Professor Quirrell. Meeting and plotting." His face is stone, but there's a glint of fear in his eye. Now I've got to find Invernias before she goes and tells everyone - a race against the clock.
"What?!" I've got to act like she's crazy. "That's just weird. Is she ok?"
"She seemed pretty adamant and scared, but she's been acting odd lately. Maybe you need to talk to her." Gale is leaving now. I've got to start the plan.
"Hm. Maybe I do. Bye."
I slip through the kitchen exit so no one will see me. There's something cooking in the fireplace, but no elves attending it. I'll just start a fire near it. My heart races, throat dry. I'm going to do this. We're going to win.

***

Hi guys,

Ooh!! Is Jayden going to do it? Does he really think that it's the right thing to do? Cliffhanger!

Thanks to all of our readers! Please vote and comment as well!

Your authors,

Tinybigninja123

And

aquarius_cat