Chapter 27: The Big Meeting

Previously:

"Everything will be fine. Promise me."

***

Tom sat, silent, in the Charms classroom. No one seemed to notice his furrowed brows and dead expression. He was thinking about what Emma said. What would make her think it was an unforgivable curse? Who would do such a thing, and why? A small part of his mind was laughing at him. It's nothing. Emma is just overreacting. Go talk to Hannah! She's fine! What a stupid kid. So gullible.
"Now remember children to have a firm hand on your want when casting the Unlocking Charm." Professor Flitwick said. "If you have a loose hand your wand will zoom across the room."
Well, what if something was wrong and he was just being rude and dismissive? He really wanted to sort this out. But would the others want to?
"Tom?" Harry waved his wand at him. "You okay?"
The boy blinked, not aware anyone was talking to him for a second.
"Oh. Yeah, I'm okay."
"Uh... well, you kind of need to catch up with the lesson then. I mean, 'alohomora' is pretty useful - maybe put some effort into learning it?
"Yeah, you're right." He picked up his wand, and glanced at his textbook. Next to him, Hermione was attempting to show Ron the proper wrist movement. They were practicing on a padlock.
"You're going to stab someone in the eye if you're not careful." Ruby remarked at the pair. She was sat behind them with Amy. "You should've paid attention to Professor Flitwick during his demo."
"If you're so good at it, show us." The ginger boy retorted. He held up the padlock smugly. The girl flicked her wand towards it.
"Alohomora."
The students around her clapped, which caught the teacher's attention.
"Well done, Miss Zalast. I'm glad we're seeing a lot of talent in this class. So many future N.E.W.T level charmers."
Hannah looked at the group across the room. Her mother was a N.E.W.T level charmer, among many things. She wanted to be one too - it opened many career opportunities.
"Hey. So did you talk to them?" Adam quietly asked her.
"What does it look like?" She said, a bit too loud. People turned and looked at her, confused.
"Oh... um. Sorry, I didn't mean to-" He began.
"No, it's ok. I... sorry for shouting. But no. I did talk to Emma though."
"Wonderful! How'd it go?"
"I asked her to step in on my behalf... but I don't think she actually did. None of them have approached me yet." The girl sighed, scratching her wand against the wooden desk.
"You know you've always got me, right?"
"Yeah. Thanks, Adam." She managed a small smile.
"Class dismissed! Hope you all had a lovely first day back!" Professor Flitwick suddenly announced. It was the last lesson of the day.

***

Tom waited outside the classroom, watching the other students file out. What was he going to say to them? Would they help? He had to do this. He had to at least try. For Emma and Hannah. For friendship.
"We need to talk."
Parker was walking past. He stopped once Tom called him.
"Okey dokey. Tell your Uncle Parker everything."
"I mean talk as in all of us." Tom quickly answered, flustered. The rest of the group exited the classroom. "Parker - go find Terrence and Evan. Ruby - you go find Dahlia. Amy - you come with me to the great hall. There's something I need to tell you all."
"Well, if you need all of us, then this must be important." The Hufflepuff girl said. They dispersed, going their different ways.

***

"I'm telling you." Evan said. He was walking down the corridors with Terrence. They were heading outside to get some fresh air and escape the hectic first day back. "That guy gives me the creeps. He's constantly looking at us and I bet you he's plotting our death."
"And? Hannah looks at us. Everyone looks, you can't help it if you have eyes." Terrence protested as they walked down the stairs.
"That's different." The boy sighed. "Hannah was our friend."
"So was Jayden at some point." His taller friend remarked.
"You don't seem to get my point. Something's up."
The duo stepped outside, their feet crunching under the frozen grass. They walked to a tree and sat down, it had been a while since they had peace and quiet. During the last few months, none of them had any time to relax or live like normal children.
"Have you talked to Hannah lately?" Evan asked as he stroked his owl.
"I want to, but I can't." The dirty blonde Ravenclaw replied. "She's kinda distant and I'm fairly sure she hates us. Always with the glares and stuff. Plus, she seems to stay with Emma to avoid us. And have you seen Adam recently? That boy's always following her like a puppy. Lukas told me that on Christmas they were always talking and giggling and blushing."
"That's a lot of reasons-"
Immediately, a rustle could be heard behind them. Terrence stood up and took out his wand. He gestured for Evan to walk away from the tree. The boy slowly crept around the side, when something jumped out at him.
"Incendio!"
"I'm as hot as it is, mate." Parker brushed the dust off his robe. "No need to set me on fire."
"Oh! We thought you might've been someone else... sorry." The black haired boy laughed.
"Did you follow us? And why were you behind the tree?"
"Asked Cosmo." He explained. "And I came through a different door. I wasn't sure if it was you or not. The cold's messed up my ears - can't recognise voices anymore."
"What's up?" Evan asked.
"You'd never willingly look for us if you didn't need something." Terrence said.
"Tom wants us, all of us. He says it's something important. We need to meet him in the great hall."
A gust of icy wind blew, shaking the bare tree's branches.
"It is getting quite cold... let's go."
The three boy walked up the stairs and down the corridor. Inside was quieter, since everyone had left their final lessons. No one was in the halls - there wasn't any source of heat, so the stone was freezing.