Chapter 29: Watch Out

Previously...

"So. Are we going to act like that didn't just happen?" The Ravenclaw boy asked.
"Yeah."

***

"So, you're positive that this will get our book?" Amy asked, furrowing her brows in confusion.
"One hundred and one percent!" Stella gently clapped her hands, green eyes glistening with determination. She leaned closer to them and whispered. "We should do it now before the library starts to close."
"Thank you for helping us." Terrence looked up at her and smiled.
"We'll separate, and I'll give a thumbs up to Amy when Miss Pince is away from her desk." The Slytherin addressed the other girl. "Say something that'll get her attention - like there's a broken book or something. Then," She turned to Terrence, "We'll slip over quietly and search. I can sort of remember what it looks like." There was an uncertainty in her voice, and she lowered her head on the last sentence. The others glanced at each other, sharing their worries through a cautious look. Stella left, positioning herself in a spot that she could easily see the front desk in; gesturing for Terrence to follow. Amy wandered off, leisurely strolling through the library yet still keeping the two in her sight. The Slytherin gave her the signal - so she selected a dusty orange book on the nearest shelf and tore the third page slightly. "Miss Pince! There's a torn book... um, the back cover is scratched, too!" She quickly flipped it over and dug her nails into the cover, dragging them down to the corner.
"I'm coming, I'm coming." The librarian marched over, quite frustrated. Her chin was jutted upwards in an annoyed manner as she approached the girl. "Kids these days, treating books as if they're toys."

***

The two students scurried over and knelt down, pushing through piles of novels, textbooks, historical accounts and dusty scrolls. Terrence kept peering over his shoulder, looking out for any witnesses.
"There are so many." Stella hissed. "I don't where it is." She frantically flipped open golden pages, ran her finger across the spines of books and checked every pile to no avail.
The tension built up as they heard heels clacking on the floor, coming closer and closer.
" I got it!" The girl pulled out a dark book with no writing on the cover. It was twice the size of the largest book in the library, causing Stella to have trouble carrying it. There was a bit of dust on the cover, indicating that it was old - yet the book looked untouched inside. Terrence grinned at her in excitement, and they stood up. At the exact second, Madam Pince turned around the aisle muttering to herself angrily.
"Stella! Hello."
Both students froze. Eventually, they slowly turned around.
"Still helping out?" The lady looked down on them. She didn't look angry or suspicious.
"Y-yes, Miss." The girl stuttered, tightening her grip on the book and pressing it to her chest.
"Great! I can guarantee, you're one of the only people in this school that takes care of the library." Madam Pince murmured to herself as she passed them, sitting at her desk. The two scurried off, back to their original table.
Amy hurried after them, taking the book from Stella.
"Phew, that was close. We should check on Tom and Dahlia - see if they've got anything."
They all sighed in relief, and set off in silence, hearts still pounding. The library was almost like a maze, and the front desk was right in the middle.
"So... what's the real reason you guys need this? Is something going on?" Stella spoke up.
"Ummm... just research!" Terrence stammered, his voice squeaking as he said so, avoiding eye contact and looking at the floor as they walked.
"What kind of research? It's not something a student would need for lessons or anything." She persistently questioned them.
"It's just for a friend..." Amy trailed off, not exactly lying. She held the book tightly, trying to conceal it under her cloak.
They finally found the two hunched over a desk, talking in low voices. Terrence caught the words 'friends' and 'trust'.
"Uhh.. hello?"
They jumped back in surprise, confused as to who was there.
"Well, we found something that might help!" Amy proudly dropped the book onto their wooden desk, the sound echoing through the library. Miss Pince jerked her head up to glare at the group, then shushing them and returning to her work. Terrence raised an eyebrow, and dragged a nearby empty chair to the table.
"So, what exactly are we looking for? It always seems like we come here in search of something that we know nothing about." He sighed, running a hand though his hair.
"Oh yEah, I wOnDeR wHy." Amy exaggerated her voice in sarcasm. The others furrowed their brows at the girl, not knowing what she was talking about. "Maybe they're just unoriginal..." She murmured.
"Who's they?" Dahlia cocked her head to the side, lips pursed in perplexion. The dim light cast shadows across her face, making her look like she was frowning.
"I'd like to know as well - after helping out." Stella raised her chin in entitlement, curious as to what schemes her friends were up to now - changing the subject back to the book. Tom nodded at the other Slytherin girl.
"EmmatoldTomwhotoldusthatHannahisunderacurse." Dahlia quickly said, and looked down at the table.
"You what?" Terrence draped his arm over the book and wrapped his fingers around the spine, ready to drag it towards him. The Gryffindor shook his head. Defeated, Terrence sat back in his chair again.
"What Dahlia is trying to say is: Emma told Tom, who told us, that Hannah is under a curse." He explained.
"The imperious curse." Tom added, very quietly.
Amy sighed in disappointment.
"Well, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but there are so many reasons that you're an idiot right now. First of all, that's physically impossible. Second of all, has it occurred to you that the b-.. um, girl is trying you on? And third of all, what do you want us to do about it?" She voiced all the other's doubts for them, with a little too much emotion. Tom - ignoring her - turned to Stella, who was still standing up. "Please can you keep this a secret and help us?"
The girl nodded firmly.
"This is silly, but what's there to lose?" Amy sighed.
"Let's get started, then." Terrence gave them all a small smile, and pointed his wand at the book. It opened, flicking though the pages by itself.
"Stop! I think I saw something." Dahlia darted forward, frantically turning the pages over.
"Treat it with care!" Stella hissed at her, as they all stood and crowded around.
"There. It's there." Amy pointed at a large heading at the top of a page.
"The..." Terrence began reading, but got a sharp look from Tom.
"Don't say it out loud."
"Let's say 'it' then. The 'it' is a tool of the..." He lowered his voice and threw an uncertain look over his shoulder.
"...Dark Arts, and is one of the three Unforgiveable Curses. It is one of the most powerful and sinister spells known to wizardkind. When cast successfully, the curse places the victim completely under the caster's control, though a person with exceptional strength of will is capable of resisting it."
"But how do we know if someone is under 'it'?" Dahlia asked, tracing her fingertip over the yellowed pages.
"Here. Signs are fainting, loss of character, look of expressionless, violence, rudeness and so on. These symptoms can be triggered when around certain objects or people, even thoughts of them. When objects or person is not in sight or in thought the victim will find it easier to resist. Some victims may not even be aware they underneath the curse." Stella read, holding the page firmly. "Have you seen any of this?" The Slytherin turned to them.
"That's basically a mood swing, but okay." Any scoffed. "I've done all these things, am I under 'it'?"
"Right. Ok. These are vague but I've seen them in Hannah. This doesn't mean she's definitely in trouble, but I think we can assume... especially after she was so nice and kind, then suddenly unexplainably rude and weird to us." Terrence spoke up. There was an awkward silence afterwards, an atmosphere of confusion and fear.
"So... who's the caster?" Tom sighed.
"I can only think of someone who hates us for no reason." Amy rolled her eyes. "Although, Jayden doesn't have the power to cast a spell like that..."
"What if someone helped him?" Dahlia asked.
"What if he's helping someone?" Stella responded.
"What's their actual goal then, though? It's all really confusing..." Terrence trailed off.