Chapter 28: Operation Abbot

Previously:

They stood up, and went their separate ways once more. This was something that would take a lot of patience, forgiveness and intellect. They were all ready. A teacher had been listening in on their every word and wasn't liking any of it.

***

"What if it is the curse, Tom?" Amy asked as the group walked down the hall which lead to the library. The tension between them was quiet and uncomfortable. If Hannah was really under the spell what would they do? They had only left a few minutes ago and the journey was quite short. Even so, it felt like a long, doomed eternity away.
"We'll find a way." Tom assured them.  "I promised Emma. I don't break promises."
"You sound like Shakespeare beginning an epic tragedy." Terrence cringed.
"Do you want to help or not?" Tom fired back, taking more offence than was intended. Dahlia pushed out her arms to stop both boys getting into an argument.
"Let's focus on the task at hand."
Amy nodded in agreement. Once they reached the library, the boys had silently made up. The two girls sat down next to them and the group began to discuss their situation.
"So what are we looking for exactly?" Terrence spoke up.
"I'm not entirely sure.." Tom trailed off. "We should look for a book of spells, mainly defence against the dark arts."
"If you say so." Amy responded. She walked off to the farthest bookshelf, and Terrence followed. If they searched in an organised way, they'd have a better chance of finding something. Dahlia skimmed over a close shelf - while Tom stayed still, reciting what Emma told him in his head.

***

Ten minutes had passed, and they had found quite few Defence Against The Dark Arts books. However, there wasn't any information on an imperious curse anywhere.
"Here, try these." Amy heaved a stack of hardbacks onto the floor.
"Wingardium Leviosa!" Terrence raised an eyebrow as he flicked his wand. "Are you sure we need all this?" He guides the books onto a nearby desk.
"Probably not, but you never know."
There was a period of quiet as they flicked through the books. Only the sound of pages turning and the occasional voice of Dahlia or Tom from the other side of the library pierced the silence. Suddenly, the Ravenclaw spoke up.
"Amy?"
She looked up.
"Why do you think Tom didn't tell us that he'd been meeting Emma?"
"It isn't really our business, but it would've been nice if we knew." The girl sighed.
"If you knew what?" Stella around a bookshelf.
The two jumped up in surprise.
"What are you doing here?" Terrence exclaimed.
"I kind of work here. Didn't I tell you guys during Halloween?"
"Does that mean you can help us? We're looking for a book about... curses." Amy hesitated on her final word. Wouldn't anyone question that?
"Hmm... depends. What types of curses?" Stella tilted her head.
"Unforgivable ones?" Terrence whispered.
"You can't find any books on that. Sorry." She turned around to leave.
"Please. We really need it." The Gryffindor girl begged her. The urgency in her voice made the Slytherin turn to look at her.
"I'm not sure..." Stella nibbled on her nails. The library was her second home and. like many homes, it had quite a few rules. "It's quite risky to find a book like that, especially as Miss Pince completely trusts me to listen to her."
"We'll get Cosmo to stop pranking you for a month." Terrence pleaded.
"Deal!" The black haired girl agreed immediately. Finding a book is one thing; her twin's pranks were something completely different. In the family, she was always the quiet one whereas her brother was as loud as a howler. He was the day; she was the night. She was like water; he was like fire. Their cousins called them the 'polar opposites', which was probably the best way to describe it. Every so often, Cosmo would pull pranks on her and the last one she didn't especially enjoy.
"Please don't damage anything, though. If Miss Pince finds a ripped book that I gave to my friends, she'll..." She trailed off.
"Alright. Is there like a specific book or something that you know could help us?" Amy asked.
"There's one that I think could be useful, but it's on a shelf right next to Madam Pince's desk."
"She barely ever leaves her desk though." Terrence lowered his voice as a student walked past. "No one would let a bunch of first years waltz up to a book about unforgivable curses."
Stella raised an eyebrow and smiled.
"You seem to have forgotten that I'm a Slytherin."