Chapter 3: A Visit To Gringotts

Previously:
"Hold onto your seats - it's going to be a bumpy ride!"

***

The group were soaring above the trees, leaving the chaos of angry Death Eaters behind them. Terrence and Tom had never felt more alive or free. They did loops and twirls, with their passengers enjoying the ride. Nearby birds flew alongside them in groups. They could all hear the wind whistle behind them as they sped off into the distance.
"How long until we get there? We've been riding for ages already!" Parker shouted, but his voice was lost in the breeze
"What did you say?" Hagrid replied, trying to raise his gruff voice over the noise.
"What?" The others all shouted in unison.
After what seemed like hours of flying, they arrived at their destination. Tall buildings decorated the city; some museums, shops, offices - many were cafés or restaurants. They glided to the floor gently in an empty alleyway.
"Why are we in London?" Dahlia asked, as Parker helped her off the broom.
"Oh, yer'll see soon, lass!" Hagrid answered mysteriously.
He beckoned them to come over to him. Amy looked around and peeked her head outside. It was much bigger than her hometown.
"Wow..... it's so big!" Amy gasped in awe.
"Have you not ever been, peasant? My daddy brings me here every other weekend to buy me Gucci and Prada." Emma said smugly.
"Peasant? I'm sorry, did I hear you say that? None of us are peasants - our hearts are made of gold!" Ruby retorted.
"Yes. Gold, not stone - unlike some people." Evan joined in.
"Leave her alone!" Tom shouted protectively, but Emma didn't seem to notice him defending her.
"ALL O' YOU. STOP FIGHTIN'." Hagrid bellowed.
"Only when Emma shuts her big mouth..." Parker murmured. Terrence grunted in approval.
The alley that they were in was disgusting. The floor was slimy and unpleasant, while the grey skies reflected in each puddle. The walls were covered in gum, or was that something else? No-one wanted to find out.
"Give me your brooms. Can someone check if the coast is clear of any people?" Hagrid broke the silence.
Tom carefully made his way to the pavement - avoiding the dirt and gum - then peeked his head around.
"There's no one out there at all. Weird, because London is so busy..." he trailed off. By now Hagrid had collected all the children's brooms, and was concealing them with his large coat.
"Good." Was all he said. Evan glanced at Dahlia and mouthed, 'What are we doing?' She mouthed back, 'I don't know.' Ruby glanced at Amy, who shrugged in confusion. Tom turned around and shared a look with Parker and Terrence. Emma just stared in horror at the floor.
"Oh. My. Gosh. You are not making me move at all! My Jimmy Choos are too expensive!" She shrieked.
"Have it your way, then." Hagrid smiled and muttered something under his breath. Emma started levitating by her hair. She screamed.
"PUT ME DOWN NOW!"
Everyone laughed - well, almost everyone. Tom didn't find it funny at all. Hagrid hid his grin behind his beard. To avoid any arguments, Tom had turned back to watch for approaching people.
"Someone's coming!" He hissed. Hagrid sighed and Emma floated down to the floor.
"I will slap all of you!" She roared in fury.
"Ah ah ah, missy. You ain't slappin' nobody." Hagrid held out his surprisingly very large hand.
"Are we actually doing anything here, or what?" Evan asked, annoyed they hadn't moved in ages. He was still rushing with adrenaline from the ride.
"Oh yes. Right. This 'ay, kiddos!" Hagrid led them out into the road. They walked along for a bit, then stopped by an odd-looking place.
"What an awful hub of filth!" Emma remarked.
"I think I speak for everyone when I say: What is this place?" Parker asked. The others nodded in agreement.
"Aha. So ya can see it. I was right. Yer're witches and wizards!" Hagrid had a satisfied look on his face as he led them inside.
"The Leaky Cauldron..." Tom read. There all sorts of figures inside, all enjoying a drink and a laugh.
"Ugh! It stinks!" Terrence complained.
"Of course it does, pretty boy." Amy rolled her eyes.

All of a sudden a man with a long grey beard approached them. He wore a long blue robe, and half-mooned spectacles.
"Who are you?" Ruby asked.
"Please sit down." The man gestured to a wide table.
Everyone did so, curious and suspicious. The grey bearded man sat at the head of the table.
"My name is Albus Dumbledore, but you may have the pleasure to call me Professor Dumbledore. I am the Head Master of the school which I ask you to attend - Hogwarts-"
"Sounds like Hogwash to me!" Emma interrupted.
"How dare you interrupt the Head Master!" Hagrid bellowed, and the pub fell into an awkward silence.
"It's okay, Rubeus." Dumbledore calmed him down, and those around them continued talking. "As I was saying, I want you all to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!"
"But we're normal - that's impossible." Evan protested.
"No yer ain't." Hagrid joined in. "Yer can 'ontrol broomsticks, you can escape Death Eaters, you can see this place. That spell that hit this 'ittle guy coulda killed 'im."
"I am not a little guy!" Parker protested.
"The point is," Hagrid said gruffly, "Yer're witches and wizards!"
"No..." Terence said, "We can't be."
"I believe it, pretty boy." Amy announced.
"Will you stop with the 'pretty boy'?" Terrence glared.
"I must be off," Proffesor Dumbledore declared. "After your second week, I would like to see all of you in my office to explain what you saw in that muggle school of yours. Oh, and Hagrid, please show them around."
The man disappeared.
"Where'd he go?" Tom looked around, puzzled.
"Just follow me, kids." Hagrid said.
"What on earth....?" Dahlia said as they were led through the pub into a rear courtyard. They all looked at each other, confused and suspicious.
"Please remind me why we trust this man? You took us from school, made us fly on brooms - which is scientifically impossible - you've led us to dead-end, secluded place. Now you're tapping bricks with an umbrella. This is-" Parker's rant was cut off by Emma squealing with excitement as the wall opened to reveal a bustling market.
"Okay. I take it back. This is awesome!" He said immediately.