Chapter 9: Sacrifices and Consequences

Previously:
"Harry!" Parker yelled. "Up there!" He pointed at the roof. Hovering above it was the remembrall, bouncing up and down. As Harry was just about to dart towards it, an ear-piercing scream silenced the crowd. One of the Slytherin's large enchanted rocks had turned direction and was heading straight towards a familiar female, blonde-haired Hufflepuff...
"RUBY!"

***

Evan dived in front of Ruby, protecting her from being knocked out. The rock slammed into his chest, breaking apart and scattering sharp pieces into the crowd. He flew backwards, hitting a stone pillar. There were loud screams, and many of the people in the sky were distracted. Professor Flitwick had rushed off to the Hospital Wing. Harry smoothly grabbed the remembrall, waved it in Draco's face and flew down.
"EVAN! THAT WAS THE MOST STUPID THING YOU HAVE EVER DONE IN YOUR LIFE!" Ruby stormed forwards, jokingly angry. When she saw his body lying on the ground, she stopped. Everything was bent in the wrong place: his arm was hanging lifeless, twisted behind his shoulder - and his head was rolled backwards, covered in blood. The pillar smashed into rocks, hitting students left, right and center.
"RUBY! ARE YOU OKAY?!" Hannah Abbott, a fellow Hufflepuff and friend, ran towards her. Dahlia, Amy, Parker, Tom, Adam, Terrence and Emma sprinted to Evan's side.
"What. An. Idiot. How on earth is he a Ravenclaw?!" Jayden laughed, making fun of the injured boy as he stood underneath the flying Slytherins.
"Hey! Would you do that for a friend?!" Dahlia screeched.
"You don't have any friends to sacrifice yourself for anyway!" Adam shouted. Draco smirked at Jayden's remark. Maybe this boy could be his helper in his quest to obliterate Tom - the others clearly disliked him now. As if on que, Tom flung his broom around, sped forwards and toppled over the opposing team - directly hitting Draco.
"Agh!" He fell to the ground and landed on top of Jayden.
"Go Tom!" Parker jumped gleefully.
"Out of the way! OUT OF THE WAY!" Madam Pomfrey hurried through the crowd.
"WHO'S FAULT IS THIS?!" Professor Snape appeared.
"W-we don't know...." Emma stuttered, looking down. Tom glared at her. She knew who did it, and she was hiding it.
"YES WE DO! IT WAS THEM!" Amy pointed to the group of hovering Slytherins, furiously. Snape narrowed his eyes and peered over his hook-nose.
"All students must return to lessons! Nothing to see here!" Professor McGonagall shouted. She swept through the group of concerned children, and gestured for Madam Pomfrey to follow. Evan slowly opened his eyes.
"Huh... what?" He attempted to say, but it came out as a weak mumble.
"Don't worry, kid. We'll look after you." As she said this, Ruby put out her arm in protest - but they brushed past her without a word.
"There will be no visitors to the Hospital Wing for the next week until this boy is healed!" Madam Pomfrey shouted behind her. The rest of the crowd disbanded, and the Slytherins landed on the grass.
"Class dismissed!" McGonagall announced. "And may Harry Potter and Tom Yates see me!"
"Ooooooh... someone's in trouble!" Jayden and Draco laughed and high-fived each other.
"What's up with them? I thought Jayden was our friend - well, at least not a Draco supporter!" Terrence asked. The others looked around, puzzled. This surely was a quick change of character...
"What on earth just happened?!" Dahlia was in shock.
"I have absolutely no idea." Hermione approached them from behind.
"How about we go to lunch? Food always helps me calm down." Ron added, not wanting any more drama.
"Me and Ruby will follow you guys. See you in the hall!" Hannah Abbott told the group, as she led her fellow Hufflepuff away.

***

"Do you think Evan will be okay?" Amy said as she sipped from a goblet.
"I don't know... it looked pretty bad to me - but remember, these people have magic." Parker replied, picking up a slice of bread.
"That match was uncalled for. You all could've ended up much worse than your friend." Hermione stated.
"Thanks for worrying about us, but we would've been fine. We fought Death Eaters before we knew what magic was." Amy smiled proudly.
"You what?!" Ron looked startled, his mouth full to the brim with food. Laughter filled the room, yet there was still an element of worry for Evan.
"Come on. Let's go meet up with the others. Oh! We need to go get Tom and Harry too." Amy pulled him up. Dahlia noticed Parker gesturing to leave, and she signalled to the Hufflepuff table to follow. Ruby walked out of the hall with Hannah.
"Well, now we're down a few members of the gang - I guess we should find the others first. And Hannah - we don't know you that well, but you can fill in for them." Parker started. There were significantly less of them - Tom, Emma and Evan were missing; only Terrence, Ruby, Amy, Dahlia and Parker were left from the original gang.
"He was taken to McGonagall's office with Harry. Does anyone know where that is?" Terrence was worried Tom was in trouble.
"I know my way around. Follow me!" Ruby led them up staircases, down hallways, every turn imaginable until they arrived.
"What now?" Hannah looked at the large group.
"Let's wait for them. After... we need to plan on seeing Evan." She looked sad and lost, and the mood in the hallway was very depressing. Dahlia hugged her friend - they all hoped he was okay.
"Parker! You're right!" Amy shouted randomly.
"About what?" He asked.
"So. In the muggle world, we let our bodies heal naturally with help from bandages and medicine. Can you imagine the possibilities if doctors could use magic? You'd only be hurt or ill for about a day!" Ruby jerked her head up in delight as she heard the news. She hadn't spoken in a while.
"Yes! Thank you Parker!" Dahlia ran forward and high-fived him.
"But... Madam Pomfrey said no visitors for the week it takes for him to heal." Hannah remembered. They returned to their downcast states. Suddenly, Tom and Harry burst through the door, laughing excitedly.
"WE MADE THE TEAM!" They shouted in unison.
"What?"
"WE ARE PLAYING ON THE GRYFFINDOR QUIDDITCH TEAM. I'M A SEEKER AND TOM'S A CHASER!" Harry jumped for joy.
"WE'RE THE ONLY FIRST YEARS! I THINK IT'S BECAUSE I KNOCKED THOSE SLYTHERINS TO THE GROUND!" Tom's voice echoed through the castle.
"WELL DONE GUYS!" The others congratulated them.
"I'VE GOT TO TELL RON AND HERMIONE! BYE!" And Harry ran off.
"Right! That's one good thing to come out of this - but how are we going to see Evan?" Dahlia beamed.
"We could always..." Amy smirked.
"Always what?" Ruby asked, wanting to thank her friend for saving her.
"Sneak out. Tonight."
"How?" Parker asked.
"Yeah, aren't there restrictions and patrols and stuff at night?" Terrence had memorised the rules so they wouldn't get in trouble.
"Look, here's my plan: Hannah and Terrence sneak out from their house dorms at nine fifty-five, and hide in that large closet. I know we've got a bad track record with hiding and closets, but I don't think the Death Eaters can get into Hogwarts. Then, they'll knock on the wall next to our dorms; Terrence, you go to the Gryffindors - Hannah, go to the Slytherins. Make sure you're not seen! Then we can sneak through school and go to the hospital wing."
"What about the prefects?"
"Hannah knows their routes. She'll lead us." Ruby stood up.
"Well - see y'all tonight!" Hannah joyfully left.
"You know, she could actually be helpful!" Tom remarked. The group disbanded, and went their separate ways.

***

"Terrence! Did you forget which dorm to go to?" Hannah hissed through the shadows.
"No..." He trailed off.
"Well, why are you here?!" She whisper-shouted. Terrence smiled to himself - her shadow looked like a turbaned man.
"Umm... well. I just wanted to say that you're very kind for stepping in when Ruby's upset." He whispered.
"What?" Hannah couldn't hear him. "I'm on my way, okay?" And he walked off.
"The Gryffindors are that way!"
"Oh, right."

***

Hey guys!

So sorry for not updating in ages. We had some technical difficulties, then a lot of work just hit us in the face (and also Aquarius_Cat is a slow worker and very good procrastinator - don't worry, I'm allowed to say that about myself). Thank you for staying patient! It means a lot to us. As always, check out our separate accounts - comment, vote, follow and the lot! EDIT: Guys! Go read Short Stories (also on our account) while you wait for CoW to update!

Your lovely slow authors,

Tinybigninga123 🤗

And

aquarius_cat 💐