Chapter 23: The Mirror Of Erised

Previously:

"No. I'll get that weird feeling again." She shook her head - clearing it of good memories - and headed to the library. She might as well get some studying done if she was up before anyone else.

***

"Tom, wake up!" Parker hissed in his ear, shaking him violently. "It's an emergency!"
"Go back to bed, mate." His friend rolled onto his side, groaning quietly. "It's the middle of the night."
"I heard something weird outside the common room, and I don't want to go alone."
"You're not scared of the dark, are you?" The boy opened up one eye, faintly chuckling.
"O-of course not... Filch could be outside an-"
"If I go, will you stop bothering me?" He sighed, not bothered to hear his petty excuse.
"Yes."
"Then let's go!" Yates sat up, fully-awake. Realising that other people were trying to sleep, he began to whisper. "At least after this I can get the beauty sleep I deserve!"
"You've got to be kidding!" The blonde boy chortled in the dark.
"Let's just go already."
They put on their slippers and dressing gowns before tip-towing down the stairs. Luckily, no had dozed off in the common room that night... or so they thought.
"Tom? Parker?" The fire cast shadows on Neville's face. "What are you two do-?"
"We felt like having a small morning snack - just to start the day." Parker butted in.
"You're starting the day at three in the morning?" He asked.
"Don't question us! And why are you here?"
"Alright, I won't. And I'm here because I saw Harry go through the painting a few hours ago. He's been going back and forth for a few days now... I would stop him from going but when I try to, he just disappears!"
"We better go..." Tom started shuffling away, "We'll be back in less than five minutes, don't worry."
"I won't." He laid down on the sofa. "I'll just be here."
Without a sound, the Gryffindor boys slipped out and were soon embraced by the cold, empty air of the corridor. They walked further on, slippers hitting the stone floor.
" Look. There's nothing here!" The brown haired kid spread his arms to the open space of the castle. "I have no idea what you were worrying about."
"Hold on..." His friend whispered.
"Now you're just stalling. It's late, and I just want to sleep."
A meow echoed through the hallway.
"I told you so!" The boy smiled, but his face quickly turned to stone as the noise got nearer.
"What do we do?" He hissed.
"Don't look at me! I only heard it, I don't know what it is!"
"Quickly, behind the pillar!" They dived into the shadows.
Loud taps on the stone floor sounded through the closed halls, edging closer and closer.
"It's Mrs Norris!" Parker whispered."She's out to get us."
The little pats were approaching them. Suddenly, it stopped - a little paw was placed on the boy's foot.
"It's not Mrs Norris!" The Gryffindor picked up his kitten. "It's Pumpkin! What are you doing out here?"
"Who?"
"My cat, you idiot!" Tom smacked him right on the head. "You think from all the small pieces of ginger fur you find on our beds, you might acknowledge the fact one of us has a cat. I mean, Ron has a rat - how many times have you noticed that?"
"Ron has a rat?" He raised his eyebrow, confused.
"You're hopeless. Come on, let's go."
Despite what he said, Pumpkin had other plans. Gracefully, the kitten leaped out of his arms and carefully jumped down the stairs. Without reason, the boys followed, going through the castle as if they were on a tour.

***

"We've been following this cat for ages." Parker yawned. "I want to go back to the dorm."
"Well, maybe if you ignored that 'sound', we wouldn't be walking through the halls in the middle of the night." The boy said. "Besides, I think Pumpkin is trying to show us something."
"Like what? The kitchens, to be fed earl-..."
"SH! Can you hear that voice in the distance?"
They followed the noise for a few minutes, the cat leading, until they reached a section of the castle full of empty classes.
"Here." Tom motioned for him to crouch down behind a large pillar.
"It's just an old classro-"
Pumpkin pushed the door slightly open, and trotted into the room. There were two figures inside: one standing in the corner, the other near an ornate mirror. Faint yellow lights cast shadows across the room; giving it a mysterious, dusty atmosphere.
"Let me explain. The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror... that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is. Does that help?"
"It's Professor Dumbledore!" The blonde boy whispered.
"It shows us what we want... Whatever we want..."
"And Harry!"
"Yes, and no. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. You, who have never known your family, see them standing around you. Ronald Weasley, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them. However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible.The mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, and I ask you not to go looking for it again. If you ever do run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now, why don't you put that admirable cloak back on and get off to bed?" The headmaster said.
"What are they talking about? I can barely hear..."
"Something about a mirror, cloak and greatest desires? I don't know." Parker replied.
"It's not Emma's, is it?" Tom gently chuckled.
"I hope not..." He muttered. Footsteps suddenly began approaching them.
"Someone's coming."
Strangely, the door opened and closed itself, even though they couldn't see anyone in the corridor.
"What on earth was that?" The brown haired boy asked.
"No idea... but let's go inside and see that mirror thingy." His friend entered the classroom, only to find the headmaster in the doorway as if he was waiting for them. However, Harry was nowhere to be found.
"Dumbledore! My main man..." Parker smiled sheepishly. "What are you doing here?"
"Mister Ryans, it is Professor Dumbledore to you." Dumbledore corrected him sternly. "I am here because I run this school - and unlike students, I do not have a curfew. Is that understood?"
"Yes, professor." The blonde Gryffindor looked at the floor, embarrassed.
"Sir, how did you know that we would walk in? It sort of looked like you were just waiting to catch us." Tom asked.
"I don't need to see people to know they are there. Yet, it seems your cat has led you here." Dumbledore chuckled lightly. Pumpkin was in the corner of the room, sleeping. "I have a better question.: what are you two doing here? I ought to give you detention for being awake so late."
"We just felt a little hungry and decided to come down for a snack."
"Really?" The professor raised his grey eyebrow.
"Now that I think about it, why did we come out this far? We only needed to peek out the painting." Tom shook his head in realisation.
"Actually... I had a dream."
"Is that all?" Dumbledore sighed.
"It was so clear!" Parker waved his arms around. "Tom, Amy and I were in this stone corridor thing, and we had to complete some sort of trial. Once we did the wall opened into a crystal cave with a lake. There were crystals everywhere and they were super shiny. Then a big crystal rose out of the lake... actually, forget it. It's just a silly dream."
"But what made you walk all the way over here?" The headmaster didn't understand.
"I don't know..." The blonde boy said. "Although, now that we're here - what's that?"
"Ah, the Mirror of Erised. I believe you heard my speech about this delightful yet horrible object."
"Man has wasted before it." The brown haired Gryffindor said. "Can I look in?"
"Of course, but be careful. It does no good to dwell on dreams." Dumbledore answered.
Tom walked over to the mirror, and looked in. He was back in his old school, standing in the empty playground. Slowly, all of his seven best friends appeared around him - laughing, smiling. The sun shone down on them from a clear, blue sky. After a while, another figure joined them. Emma. She looked happy for the first time in her life. The eight children were all at peace with one another; no fights, no drama. Their wands and uniforms were nowhere to be found - they were dressed in their own clothes, like any muggle kid their age. His greatest desire was for him and his friends to be normal and happy together.
"Tom?" The blonde boy poked him.
"Oh! Yes. Hello." The boy jumped, startled. "Where's Professor Dumbledore?" He looked around.
"You must be blind, mate. He's-" The boy turned around, but the room was empty. "Gone?"
"How long was I looking?"
"Too long! I was getting bored."
Parker started to leave.
"Don't you want to look in the mirror?" He asked, gently picking up Pumpkin.
"You heard sir." The boy opened the door. "That mirror gives us knowledge nor truth. Why look at something that causes pain and desire?"
"When did you get so smart?"
"When did you get so dumb?"