Chapter 16: A Feast And A Riddle

Previously:

It had been nearly two months since their first escape, but it certainly wasn't their last.

***

"Mate, wake up! It's Halloween!"
Tom fell out of his bed, and looked up. Parker was visibly excited about the feast, and was already dressed for breakfast.
"Why are you so enthusiastic about it? You hate Halloween!" He chuckled, standing up.
"It's our first time experiencing this in the magical world. Can you imagine the fake haunted houses, the fake ghosts and fake treats being brought to life? It's going to be awesome!" The boy ran out of the door, searching for Amy, Hermione, Ron and Harry. Tom got dressed and joined them in the common room.
"It's not going to be that special." Hermione was saying.
"But it's the eve of All Hallows' day! How's it not special?" Harry protested.
"It celebrates magic!" Amy threw her wand into the air and caught it.
"It celebrates us!" Ron was sitting on the floor with pieces of paper and ink lying around him, jumbled up.
"What are you guys doing?" Tom stretched.
"Homework." They all grumbled.
"It was Hermione's idea." Harry stated, blocking a book attack from his friend.
"Can't we eat now? Ron's just got this last sentence to write, that's all." Amy asked, getting up. The others nodded, tidying up before they left.
"Oh... guys!" Parker waited for the room to be clear before he began whispering. "Remember what's happening today as well?"
"Yeah." Tom smiled.
"Today's going to be so fun!" Amy ran out.

***

Emma was sitting with Draco, Jayden and Pansy, eating breakfast. She felt sick to the core, and wasn't touching her food. Recently, everything was awful for her - she could barely motivate herself to wake up in the mornings, let alone continue tolerating being their friend. No one at the table cared about her, even though they may seem to at times. No one was truly her friend, or knew what she was going through. Leaving the muggle world was enough, let alone being thrown into the magical one without anyone to help her. Maybe if she talked to Dahlia... no. She couldn't. Out of the corner of her eye, Emma spotted the girl get up and walk over to the Hufflepuff table. She missed the group, but was stuck because of Jayden. That pact they had made was clearly failing. 'We are going to be there for each other: we are going to support each other, even if sometimes we fight.' Parker's words rang in her ear. Something had to change; they'd been fighting for a long time, and not been supporting each other enough.

***

"So let the feast begin!" Dumbledore waved his hands after his speech, and food appeared on the tables.
"Look! All my sweet bowls are filled to the brim and Adam's are all unequal." Parker admired his work.
"It's ok to be jealous of his abilities - after all, he's a pureblood who's been learning magic longer than us." Amy tucked in to a chicken leg. The boy went completely red.
"I am not jealous of anyone's magic." He said, turning to Tom.
"What's the signal again?"
"Dahlia will get up holding cheese, then put it down and give a thumbs up. Then once she leaves the hall and the doors shut, we follow." The Gryffindor chaser was closely watching the rest of the gang. Meanwhile, the Hufflepuffs were having a pie eating contest. They were so loud, even the Slytherins could hear.
"And Hannah Abbott has nearly finished, Justin Finch-Fletchley closing in on her..." Susan Bones was the commentator, and the prize was all the sweets in the closest bowl. "HANNAH WINS!" Cheers came from behind them.
"They're so loud!" Parker complained.
"All that pie could've been donated to a good cause." Ron stated, licking his fingers.
"Your stomach is not a good cause, Ronald." Hermione laughed. Out of the corner of her eye, Amy spotted Dahlia getting up with cheese in her hand.
"Sorry guys, we've got to go soon." She grabbed Tom and Parker, preparing to pull them up.
"Where are you going?" Harry asked.
"No where important. See you in the dor- you've got to stop doing that!" The Gryffindor chaser declared.
"I will when you start doing what you're meant to. Parker, get the Ravenclaws - Tom, check the halls are empty with Dahlia. I'll grab the Hufflepuffs." Amy nodded once the slytherin girl closed the doors behind her. "Mission sneak out is a-go!"
Glancing at the professors, they rushed off. All the teachers were too busy talking and eating to notice some first years get up.
"Come on Ruby and Hannah. We've got to leave now!"
"But... all these sweets..." The girls were stuffing their faces.
"You sound like a Weasley! Just let the others share them out."
Grumbling, they left the table and slipped out. The chatter was muffled in the empty halls, their bodies casting long shadows into the floor. The grey stones were glowing in the moonlight as they waited for the others.
"Hey guys, we're starting the plan now." Parker casually leaned down to tell the Ravenclaws.
"Oh great! Let's go then." Evan exclaimed, and left.
"Haha! This is gonna be great." Terrence clapped his hands with glee, smirking. "Heigh-ho, here we go!"
"Those aren't the lyrics..." The blonde boy sighed as they met up with the others.

***

"So the coast is clear?"
"Yup. Let's make sure everyone's here... Me, Amy, Parker, Dahlia, Ruby, Hannah, Evan, and Terrence. To the library!" Tom led the group to their destination after checking their presence.
"Just to be clear, what are we looking for?" Ruby asked as they moved through the darkness.
"That book - 'The Successors Of Merlin', and any more information, if possible." Evan replied. Their soft footsteps gently echoed throughout the castle. Sneaking in silence, they made their way towards the library.
"Shh... can you hear that?" Amy whispered. They ducked around the corner, seeking refuge in the shadows. Another pair of feet were following them - slowly paced, not trying to hide, but still daintily stepping.
"Hello?" Parker stuck his head round the wall.
"Oh, hello." A girl appeared in front of them. "I am Stella Taurian. Why are you all out during the feast?" She had long, shining jet-black hair and bright green eyes.
"Stella? As in Cosmo's unidentical twin sister?" Dahlia remembered that he had told her they should be friends with his sister.
"Yes, that's me." Her voice was firm yet kind, oddly soothing and mysterious.
"We're... kind of busy." Terrence responded to her question.
"With what?"
"Look, we've really got to get on with it." Evan didn't want to be rude, but they only had a certain amount of time to find the book.
"Ok. Dahlia, I'll see you later." Stella smiled and walked off.
"How'd she know your name?" Parker was confused.
"Guys! Hurry!" Ruby wanted to get there as soon as possible.
"Right! On it, everyone. We've got two hours!" Hannah announced, and they set off again.

***

"Anyone find anything?" Amy's voice rang through the library. They had been searching for ages, getting covered in dust and becoming even more stressed by the minute.
"No! Where is this book?!" Terrence exclaimed, frustrated.
"Agh! Can't we just give up?" Evan complained.
"No. We're not stopping until we find it. Wait... where's Tom? I've not seen him since we got here." Hannah looked around for her friend.
"Yeah, he's been unusually quiet." Parker added, flipping through a large novel. It was nearly pitch black -  the only thing they had to create light were small, handheld candles. 
"This entire shelf is useless, guys." Dahlia placed the last book back.
"Same over here." Ruby nodded. "We're running out of places to search."
"Actually, we've got none left." Amy slammed her fist down on the small table she'd been sitting at.
"This was fun! Now. LET'S GO." Evan stomped his foot.
"If it's not in the most secret area, who says it's even in Hogwarts?" Terrence asked himself.
"It's got to be here somewhere!" Hannah pulled her hair in annoyance.
"Guys!" Tom called them from far away.
"What is it? Where are you?" Dahlia spun around.
"Here!"
"Where is here?" Ruby jumped over a pile of screwed up paper.
"In the corner!"
They all ran towards his voice, eager to see what he had found.
"There you are! Finally!" Parker sighed. He was hidden in a circle of books, paper and dusty pieces. It was dark and murky - scattered objects all over the floor, and the leaning shelf over his head made it seem like a chaotic, distorted office.
"Look. The Successors Of Merlin. This is it!" Tom was beaming, holding up the front cover.
"Aha!"
"What's that crumpled up page?" Amy pointed. Tom opened the book.
"The one you seek for cannot be found,
Unless you search deep underground,
You shall all go your different ways,
To find the successor through the maze,
Difficult challenges you will face,
More ancient than the wizarding race,
A mirror you will find and holds a key,
And shows you all to your destiny." Terrence read.
"How's that mean to help us?" Evan huffed. A scream came from the girls' bathroom.
"What was that?!" Hannah asked, alarmed.
"Let's go find out!" Tom declared. The gang rushed off, leaving the book behind. A shady figure who had been watching them from afar slowly crept forward, grabbing the book and piece of paper.
"They know too much."

***

Hey guys!

As usual - please vote, follow and comment! Thank you so much for the continuing reads we're getting. We spend so much time and effort on CoW and it's amazing to see it pay off. Sorry if this chapter lacked drama and exciting things - we were going to write another major event in but then the chapter would be too long!

Your authors 🐮

aquarius_cat 😉

And

Tinybigninga123 😉