Hope Is Missing

"Come on, sweetie, would you like some tea?" The woman asked.

"I don't even like tea," Hope answered.

"What is it that you'd like to drink?"

"Hot chocolate with cinnamon."

Fiona made the drink and handed her the cup.

"Who are you?" Hope asked, not drinking the hot chocolate.

"Oh, dear, I'm your mother. Now, go get ready for bed, your room is just as you left it," she said and smiled, but the little girl didn't move.

"How come I don't remember you?" Hope questioned. The woman hesitated before coming up with an answer.

"You hit your head when you were running down the sidewalk. We can talk more in the morning, alright?"

"No, it's not even eight o'clock, we have time. If I hit my head, why doesn't it hurt, and why are there no scratches or bruises? Don't tell me that the doctor fixed it because I didn't wake up in the hospital, I woke up on a bench," she said with annoyance.

"You left the hospital because you were scared. You didn't know who you were, who I was," Fiona said with tears falling down her cheeks, making sure Hope saw them. She slammed down the drink that her 'mother' had given her and stood up.

"You're saying that the doctors that were working couldn't hold down a nine year old? What you say makes no sense and I can see right through you sympathy act. I can tell you're lying, I can feel it. I am not your daughter," she said and ran out of the house.

Hope regretted leaving her jacket at the woman's house, but she had no intention of going back to get it. It was snowing outside as she walked down the sidewalk. She wore nothing but a long sleeved shirt, leggings, and a pair of fuzzy boots to keep warm. Hope debated whether to go to Rogers' or David's house, but figured they would just take her back since they both work for the police department.

She saw that Gold's shop was still open and decided to go in and steal a coat or a blanket. She opened the door as quietly as she could, not opening it enough for the bell to ring. Hope slipped through the crack and saw a pile of disorganized clothes, then looked through it and saw a heavy blanket and a flashlight, grabbed them, and snuck back out the door and ran.

She didn't know where she was going really, but the woods seemed like the best place for her to stay and not get caught.

In the morning, after she woke up, Fiona stomped into the police station and up to the front desk where David was.

"May I talk to you, alone?" She asked while eyeing Rogers, who was looking at her with furrowed brows. She and David went to a private room and closed the door.

"What's wrong?" He asked with concern.

"My daughter, she ran away. I looked for her all night and I couldn't find her anywhere," she sobbed. David put his hand on her shoulder to comfort her.

"We will find her, I promise," he said.

"No," she said coldly.

"What?"

"I don't want the other detective looking for her, just you," she answered with sadness returning to her voice.

"Why not?"

"Because I feel like you care more. Please," Fiona said. David was confused by this, but he had to respect her wishes.

"Okay, Hope will be back with you soon," he said, then they smiled at each other and left.

"What was that about, Dave? Spill the tea?" Rogers said and smiled.

"What are you talking about? There's no tea," he said and pointed at the coffee station.

"Bloody hell if I know, I heard Roni's son saying something like that," he said and David looked at him, dumbfounded.

"Uh, is that woman alright?" Roger asked, breaking the awkwardness.

"She requested that I don't tell you."

"What? I hadn't done anything to her. Come on, mate, what's the worst I can do?" Rogers pleaded. David knew he wouldn't give up, so he gave in.

"Her daughter is missing. I'm not sure why she doesn't want you on the case, but she asked me not to let you."

"Hope is missing?"

"Yeah, stay here. I'm going to go find her," he said and left the station. Rogers stood there for a second, thinking about the situation, then turned his face of anger into a grin. He walked down the hallway and stopped at cell 28.

"Hello, Detective," Emma said, then he unlocked the gate and she stood up.

"I need your help. Hope is missing."