Chapter 26

The night was nearly halfway over and Steve was getting antsy. Ramona had been dancing with Dugan after Steve had clocked out and took a seat at the bar with Mikayla. Peggy was seated at her left as the girls continued their conversation. "Tired out Stevie?" Mikayla asked as she handed him a glass. "Yes ma'am. I'm getting too old for this." He chuckled. Peggy rolled her eyes, "Ya okay sure." Steve glanced over to where Ramona and Dugan were dancing, laughing slightly as the soldier struggled to catch up to Ramona. The music ended when Howard Stark appeared at the Microphone, "Gals and Guys you might wanna pair up cause we have our last couples dance of the night, Miss Mikayla Lancaster if you could join me on the floor please." He stated before leaving the stage. "Jesus Christ." Mikayla laughed, pushing from her stool. a sheet of pink embarrassment crossing her cheeks.  Peggy met up with Dugan as Mikayla made her way  to Howard.

"Hello Darling." Steve whispered as he came up behind Ramona. "Hello Handsome." She giggled softly, spinning around and placing one hand on his shoulder, the other intertwining with Steve's other hand. The music started and the couple began to sway back and fourth. "She finally got to dance with mister Howard 'yummy' Stark." Ramona commented, staring over Steve's shoulder at Mikayla and Howard who were talking and laughing slightly. "We both know who she would've preferred... he's proud of us you know. way up in heaven." Steve smiled slightly as his own statement. Ramona nodded, "Of course, of course. You know I never got to tell you I love you. Before you went off to the final base." Steve took the opportunity to spin Ramona to the left and pull her back into his chest. "I love you too, Do you remember this song?" The smaller blonde listened silently for a second. Ramona did, the song that was playing the night she'd taught Steve to dance. 

"I just thought that this song was playing when I decided I wanted to dance all my dances with you.  So I would play it again when that became true." Ramona's heart froze as Steve stopped moving. The music had completely stopped, everyone's attention turning to the center of the dance floor where Steve had gotten down on one knee. "Ramona Lancaster." He began taking the ring box from the jacket. Mikayla's grip on Howards jacket had become tighter as her excitement got the best of her. "Easy there. Does it look like she'll say no?" Howard whispered as Ramona's eyes welled with tears. Steve opened the box and took her left hand in his. "God I've loved you since the day we met. Through peace and through war. Literally. And now I have something to ask. Ramona, will you marry me?" The only thing she could manage was a weak head nod yes and a smile before tears started to roll down her cheeks. Steve slipped the ring on her finger before pulling her into a tight hug.

The entire venue rang out into laughter and applause. "Finally!" Mikayla laughed, running over to her friends and squeezing into their hug. The two laughed slightly, letting the pilot join. Howard returned to the microphone, smoothly slipping onto the stage, "Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Mister and Misses Captain America. Now lets play our last song." and with that, the music played, "I think we should head home." Ramona laughed, whipping the tears from her face.

The car ride home was filled with laughing and stories as everyone was too excited to be the least bit upset. It had been quiet for a few minutes as they had almost reached home, when Mikayla spoke up, "Dean." Ramona raised an eye brow, looking at her through the rear view mirror. "What?" Mikayla turned her head to meet a glance with her sister. "My baby." She added with a smile, "Dean, if it's a boy. Dean Buchanan Lancaster."

Ramona smiled back at her sister, "Let's get you home and into bed. We'll talk about all of this in the morning."