Chapter 16

Mikayla's eyes fluttered open, only to see the grimy brown ceiling of the recovery room. She shifted around for a moment, before seeing the bandages covering her left arm, which she had damaged in the crash.

The crash.

Her eyes widened, glancing around frantically, only to come face-to-face with her little sister, sleeping peacefully in the chair beside her, a slight frown on her face. Her gaze slowly trailed to the heart monitor she had been hooked up to, a slight smile crossing her lips.

Mikayla began to breathe rapidly, causing the machine to ring out loudly in a series of quick and frequent beeps. Ramona's eyes shot open, seeing her sisters smug expression and the racing heart monitor. Ramona took a second to catch her breath as Mikayla smiled sweetly at her sister.

Ramona's eyes flared with anger, before she quickly settled, tears falling down her face. "You're okay. oh, Thank God you're okay..." Ramona wheezed, standing from her chair, crying violently, and her sister waited a few minutes for the blonde to settle down.

Mikayla's expression turned to something Ramona hadn't seen before.

"Are they dead?" She asked, her voice raspy and broken. Ramona stared at her, appearing slightly confused. "The other pilots," mikayla insisted, "are they dead?"

Ramona tilted her head away from Mikayla, trying to avoid the question. "That doesn't matter.  What's important right now is you- how are you feeling? are you okay? does it hurt?"

Mikayla sighed, returning her stare to the grubby ceiling . "They're dead, aren't they?" she whispered, and Ramona's silence was enough to confirm her assumption. Mikayla pushed herself into a sitting position as Ramona watched in terror. "Careful, your ribs!" She yelled, only to be met by Mikayla's confused stare. "Wait...It doesn't hurt?" Ramona asked, and Mikayla only shrugged, "Emotionally, yes. Physically? i honestly feel fine, which is weird, considering my circumstances" she said, soon trailing off topic before her sister could comment. "Hey, you know,I kind of hoped that ugly jumpsuit burned in the crash." She said bluntly, causing her sister too chuckled. "It did. But luckily, they got you a new one." she said, motioning to the jumpsuit that hung off of the edge of the bed. "God fucking damn it." Mikayla groaned. 

Ramona laughed, although soon her expression became serious. "Wait, what do you mean you don't feel any pain?" she asked, her brows creasing.

 "I don't understand you were covered in burns..." she mumbled, beginning to inspect mikayla's body. She lifted the bandage on her forehead, and there was nothing but a small scab, which had been heeling quickly. the investigation continued as she tore the bandages off of her sister's arm, only to find the same result.

"Ramona. what exactly are you doing?" Mikayla asked, pulling her arm from her sister's grasp, who was now ripping the sheets off of the bed. Not a single burn mark on either of her legs.

That bottle, Ramona thought, her eyes widening.

"When the plane landed, did it set fire to anything?" Mikayla asked, snapping Ramona out of her thoughts. "Nope, just the jet...and yourself." Ramona smirked, causing Mikayla to chuckle slightly. "We both know lighting myself on fire isn't exactly new." Mikayla laughed.

"I Bet you wish you had a drink, huh?" She asked, and Mikayla shook her head, "No, no more drinking. Not after all...that."

Ramona was aware that Mikayla had quit drinking not too soon before they had left Brooklyn, she was also aware that she had a reason for doing so, but never felt the need to ask what it had been. She was just happy her sister had quit.

Mikayla read Ramona's expression and answered the unasked question that had not been bugging her. "Because...I hurt him. When I forgot." She confessed.