Chapter 42

He couldn't just keep quiet, could he? No, he had to ruin the moment. I certainly wasn't ready to hear how involved he really was with Nicole, but now that he opened his mouth, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I didn't want to think about anything. I plugged in my phone and suddenly wanted to shower.

Standing under the hot water, his words replayed over and over in my mind about Nicole giving him a blowjob before the break. What happened ten years ago was of no concern to me, it was just what had taken place recently that tore me up. The endless questions tormented me. When exactly did it happen? Did he know she was coming to London? Where was I when she was on her knees sucking him off? Why didn't he just tell me that he wanted her?

I turned the water off and got out and pulled on a newly purchased set of pajamas. I finally slipped under the covers, only to toss and turn for most of the night. The whole point of going to him tonight, was to stop the pain and relieve a little stress, but now I felt worse than I did before.

A tortured eternity later, my eyes finally closed and then the alarm went off. Had the time on my phone not read six, I'd have sworn I just dozed off. It took all I had to force myself to get out of bed. Things would definitely be awkward at the studio and I didn't want to deal with it, or him, today. I got myself dressed and pulled my hair up in a ponytail, not caring much about my appearance.

I decided not to wait for Luke and went straight down to the lobby. Pouring myself some coffee, I took a seat on the embroidered silk couch and stared down at the beautiful marbled floor. "Alright, what's wrong?" Luke called out, stalking toward me.

"Nothing, why?"

He took the almost empty cup out of my hand and threw it into the trash can. "You have almost no make up on and your eyes are swollen. I know you Jen, probably better than you know yourself, so what's up?"

"I just didn't sleep well." My answers were short and sweet. The last thing I wanted to do was share with him my stupid mistake.

He sighed and walked over to get himself a complimentary cup of coffee. "So, I'm assuming the date with Logan didn't go great. I really expected to see you last night, but then I thought that maybe you and Logan were a little busy." He raised his eyebrows, implying that maybe I slept with him.

"He is a great guy, but unfortunately, not my type."

The disappointment in his face was evident and I knew that he thought I was an idiot. Hell, if I were him, that's what I would think. "I'm sorry to hear that. Logan is a great guy Jen, but I don't even think you gave him a chance. Listen, I refuse to overstep any boundaries here, it's your life and only you know what you truly want. I just hope you end up with someone who deserves you and treats you with love and respect. Do not settle for anything less."

Why did I feel like I was just lectured by my father? Probably because much like my dad, Luke was the kind of person who lived how he believed people should, honest and respectful. He didn't tolerate in his life those who lacked empathy. Luke was one of the most caring and  compassionate people I had ever known. He did a lot of charity work during his time off and even volunteered at a soup kitchen every thanksgiving. My parents absolutely adored him and would have loved for me to marry him one day, even though I've explained that it will never happen a thousand times.

I just sat there, praying that we left for the studio before Jared appeared. I had to keep myself busy in order to keep my mind off of what took place last night.
I didn't just lose Jared, I lost Nicole too. We were best friends and we talked almost daily and now I felt extremely lonely. I wracked my brain, trying to come up with one reason for the way Nicole betrayed me the way she did. "Ready?" Luke asked, standing in front of me.