Chess

Credit for this idea to me because I want to be a nerd and teach my gf how to play chess bc it would be cute and I feel like Virgil would do that so here you go
Also enjoy the free chess lesson guys (I just really wanted to write about chess tbh)

Virgil's POV

I woke up to a snow-covered world out my window. We don't ever leave the house anyway, because we can't, but we'll use any opportunity we get to have a lazy day. I yawned and went to the bathroom to put on makeup and everything.

When my makeup was sufficiently dreary, I went downstairs to see everyone else on the couch watching... some sort of Disney movie. Patton and Logan were already cuddled up, so I took my seat next to Roman.

"I've been waiting for you. How'd you sleep?" He kissed my forehead. God, I love lazy days.

"Good. I had a dream about cuddling you. The real thing is much better though." I live for my dark aesthetic, I really do, but I just can't help but say cutesy shit around Roman. He's just too adorable. "What are we watching?"

"Frozen. It's snowing, we had to. It's near the end though, actually."

"You could have woken me up."

"You need your rest. You just looked so peaceful when I checked on you earlier." I rested my head on his shoulder, not even paying attention to whatever was happening on the screen. I think I fell asleep again at some point, because Roman nudged me and suddenly the movie was over.

"So... what do we do now?" I asked. I could stand to be here with Roman forever, but I know that's unreasonable.

"Board games!" Patton squealed. "What should we play?"

"May I suggest... chess?" Good point, Logan. I nodded in agreement. That fits in pretty well with the snow day aesthetic we have going here.

"I don't know how to play," Roman said sadly. I gave him a small kiss.

"It's okay. I'll teach you." He nodded with a calm smile.

"That does mean we have to get up and we can't cuddle though."

"Good point. Do we have to play?"

"I'm teaching you how to play chess and it's gonna be a moment don't ruin this for me." I pulled myself off of him and stood up, offering my hand to help him. He got up and we walked over to the table, hand in hand. I summoned a chess board with the pieces already in place.

"Ok. This," I pointed to one of the small pieces in the second line, "is a pawn. On its move from the first position, it can move either one or two spaces forwards." I demonstrated and glanced over at Logan and Patton who were already far into their game. It looked like Patton was winning somehow.

"However, it can only move one space forward on any other move. Like so." I moved the pawn another space forward.

"Let's say that my pawn was up here." I moved my pawn up the row in until it was right in front of his front line. "My pawn can capture either of these pawns diagonally, but it can't take this one right in front of it. Pawns can only capture diagonally."

I moved both my pawn and his in front of it toward me two spaces. "If two pawns are right in front of each other, they're stuck there until one of them is captured by another piece. You see what I mean?" Roman nodded.

"So they can only move diagonally when taking another piece?"

"Correct. And one last thing. If a pawn reaches the opposite side of the board, it can be changed into a bishop, rook, knight, or queen. I don't think anyone in the history of chess has ever chosen anything except queen." I moved everything back to where it was then pointed at the castle-looking piece in the corner.

"This is called a rook, or sometimes just a castle. It can move any number of spaces in a straight line. So if it was out here," I moved the rook to the middle of the board. "It could move to the edge of the board, or to the pawns vertical of it. It can't move diagonally but it can take any of your pieces if it's in the way."

"Ok, I think I've got it."

"You're doing great, by the way. This isn't all that easy to understand."

"Why thank you. I've got a great teacher." I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"Ok, so this one next to the rook is the bishop. It's like the rook, but it can only move diagonally." I moved the pawn up and to the right of it forward then pushed the bishop out. "So if I just got this pawn out of the way, I can move all the way to the edge of the board. It's basically the same rules as the rook, so I won't spend time on it. You got it?"

"Yes sir. What's next?" I pretended not to hear the first thing he said, moved the bishop and the pawn back, and pointed to the wooden piece carved to look like a horse.

"This is a knight. It's the only piece that can technically jump over other pieces. It moves really strangely, so pay attention. It can move out two and over one, like an L." I put the piece in the middle of the board like I did with the rook.

"From here, it can move to all these spaces." I pointed to each place around the knight that it could go to, which formed like a hexagon around it. I moved it back to its original place.

"For example, just from the start, it can move over these pawns and out either here or here." Roman nodded.

"This here, the taller one, is the queen. It's the most useful piece on the board. It's a rook and a bishop combined. It can move diagonally or straight but can't skip over pieces. Whatever happens, don't put your queen in jeopardy, unless you absolutely have no other options."

"Protect the queen, got it. And this one is presumably the king?"

"You got it. It's like a limited queen. It can move one place in any direction. It cannot physically be captured, because if it can't move out of the way by any means, it's called checkmate, and then the game is over. The whole game is a fight to keep your king and take the other's."

"Alright. Is there anything else?"

"Just some slightly more complicated mechanics like castling and making strategies. You ready to play?"

"You're on." Roman started to reach for a pawn to move it forward.

"Oh, wait, I forgot to mention the most important thing. White always goes first. It's the rules. Here." I carefully turned the chessboard around so the white side was his. It seemed fitting.

We played for a while, Patton and Logan were on maybe their fifth game. One time, while Roman was deciding where to move, I watched as Patton managed to pull Scholar's Mate, which is a four move checkmate. Logan was yelling at him and Patton was cracking up about it.

"Sorry, love, I do believe I have you in checkmate." I shook my head in disbelief and looked at the board. My goddamn king was threatened with a pawn and I only had two spaces to move. One was protected by his knight, and the other by his bishop across the board. I shook my head and stood up.

"Good job." I reached out jokingly to shake his hand.

"What's my prize?"

"More cuddling and Disney movies?"

"Sounds like a deal to me." I snapped away the chess board and sat back down on the couch. Roman practically tackled me and I threw the blanket over us. I switched on Tangled while Logan had a mental breakdown at losing to Patton for the sixth time in a row. I smiled and kissed Roman.

"I love you."

"I love you too, panic at the everywhere." I chuckled and started to fall asleep again.

I really just wanted to talk about chess and write some fluff and I've achieved that. I gave my gf my Wattpad so if you're reading this ily! Can't wait to see you this weekend! 😊

Once again, have a very gay day, y'all. 🏳️‍🌈