Chapter 22 Remembering The Past

"When are we going to be there?" Isabelle asked, and stopped walking. They left for Pennsylvania a day ago, and were walking towards Lost River Caverns. The walk wasn't suppose to take long, but everyone kept making an excuse to stop. Jace wanted to run there, but Isabelle refused to. They stopped and argued about it for a while, then Alec had to go to the bathroom. Clary finally stopped watching them argue, and started to walk away. Jace was beside her in an instant, and then everyone was trailing behind. If Clary thought that the fighting would stop, she was wrong. The arguement was now the only talking, while they walked towards the Lost River Caverns.

"Shouldn't we be taking the bus?" Clary raised her eyebrows, inturrupting the 'conversation' between Jace and Isabelle.

"Buses are for losers." Jace stated, and raked a hand through his golden hair, and his eyes settled on Clary. She blushed under his stare, then gathered herself together.

"Half the population in New York takes the bus." Clary reminded him, and looked ahead. The scenery was distinctly different from the view in New York. In the city, you barely saw any trees, but this area of Pennsylvania was covered in them. The roads lined with blooming trees, in the spring.

"Then half the population in New York are losers." Jace retorted with a chuckle.

"You guys are all so weird." Alec stated, and went silent again. We all stayed silent, for once, and Clary remembered the old gift shop, and saw it in the distance.

"I came here when I was in fourth grade. It was a field trip, and only one class could go. Our class won, because Simon made a presentation on some Sci-Fy thing, and we won the trip. Even though I barely remember it, I remember Carolina Baker dropped her purse with twenty dollars in it, in the river. She never got it again." Clary told them with a bright smile on her face. Real memories flooded her mind about her happy childhood, and she couldn't help but to think back to Simon. He was now a vampire, because of her and she never got to see how he had grown up. Maybe by now, he'd have some facial hair or something, or his voice would grow deeper. Instead of pondering on it, she pushed the depressing thoughts out of her head, and kept walking.

"I didn't realize everyone would go with you. Its a bit more bothersome, but a lot more interesting." A familiar voice commented from the trees.

"Screw the damn seasons." Jace cursed, but Clary knew he'd pinpoint Sebastian's location in a few seconds. His gaze stayed to his left, and stayed there.

"He always follows me." Clary noted sarcastically. "If your trying to win a big brother of the year award, this isn't how you do it. Maybe try not kidnapping me, and not try to kill my friends"

"What?" Isabelle and Alec chorused, while Jace chuckled behind her.

"Clary thought that she would lighten the mood, because that depressing story she told earlier was still weighing down on us." Jace joked, but when Clary looked back to glare at him, his posture had gone rigid. She knew his fingertips were wrapped carefully around the hilt of his sword, and they just itched to make the first move.

"Of course. That's why I said it. Thank you, Jace." Clary said slowly, her words dripping sarcasm.

"Your all a bit more cheery then usual. Was it Isabelle's awakening?" A voice asked from behind them. They all whisked around, and saw her brother leaning on a tree trunk. His black clothes contrasted with his light hair, that shined in the late sun. He wicked grin told Clary that he wasn't here for a visit, but something more.

"How did you wake up, anyway?" Jace questioned, and glanced at Isabelle.

"I went through this crazy dream dillemma. I had to fight demons with Barney, and then had to travel the world with Dora. After that, I sang around the campfire with TellaTubies." Izzy rolled her eyes, with her words oozing sarcasm. "I just woke up. Ask Alec, he was the one there."