Chapter 4 The Tutor

"This is the Institute? It looks more like a castle." Clary mused. They walked down the aisle, Clary staying back letting everything sink in.

"Its a lot colder then a castle." Jace told her, with no expression in his tone. He looked back at her, and for a split second she saw something farmiliar about the look.

"So. I'm apparently missing?" Clary asked sarcasm lined her words. They had reached a hallway. Jace was right, something about the building was cold. Not temperature wise, but as if it was seeped into the boards making up this Institute.

"Actually, you are." Isabelle answered her with seriousness. "Your mother came down about 2 years ago. She was worried and told us about you. That she let you go off in the night and you never came back. She was worried stricken. She begged us to track you down. We hired a warlock and used a lock of your hair, trying to track you down. The thing was, there was a flicker of existence. You weren't dead, but you weren't trackable either. Nothing we tried worked. Your mother hasn't come here recently, I think she thought you were dead. We all did. Your mom kept looking. She couldn't find you. Your mom was pretty big on secrecy. She gave us a photo, name, and a lock of hair from your brush. Then left. Hodge seemed a little weirded out about the whole thing, but sent us out all the same. Mom looked surprised when we told her about your mom and the whole situation. We looked everywhere for you for 6 months, then downgraded the search. We had demons to kill. But here you are, alive and no memory of the past 2 years."

"So, shouldn't we bring her to her mother?" Alec inquired.

Jace gave him a horrified look before explaining."Alec, we need to find out what happened to Clary. If we give her to her mother, she'll whisk her back into the mundane world. We cant get answers that way. Why the rush to take her away?"

Alec stared at him with and incredulous look on his face and didn't answer. Isabelle looked at Jace with surprise. She shrugged it off taking Clary's arm dragging her down the corridor filled with doors. "C'mon were getting you a room. You guys, "She gestured to Jace and Alec. "Wake Hodge up. Time to figure some things out." With that she led Clary down the hallway and rounded the corner. Clary looked back just before they hit the corner and saw Jace staring at them as they walked.

Isabelle led her to a random bedroom and Clary plopped herself on the bed. It was nice, classic looking. A four post queen sized bed, associated with a dark red comforter. A bed side table and dresser completed the room. A faint smell of roses hung in the air.
Isabelle walked over to a door she hadn't seen before and opened it up. "Clean yourself up. Then go to the room right across from this one. Knock first and I'll bring you to Hodge." She left before Clary could even respond.

The bathroom was small and painted a light blue. She took a shower and used lilac soap to clean herself. Convinced she was rid of all the dirt, she dried off and took out the extra set of clothing in her bag. There was a silk green top with black jeans. She shrugged the shirt and pants on. She pulled her hair into two braids and opened the door. She walked across the hall and knocked twice before the door opened. Isabelle stood in the doorway eyeing her clothes.

"What?" Clary asked in pure curiosity.

"Where did you get those clothes?" Isabelle asked instead of answering.

"They were in my bag."Clary stated. Isabelle shrugged and brushed past Clary and walked down the hall. Clary jogged to keep up with her long legged strides. They were silent until the reached two big oak doors.

"This is the library. Hodge is a little-" She broke off trying to find the right word. "excentric. He's nice so don't worry." She pushed open the doors and moved aside a hand gesturing for Clary to go first. Clary walked cautiously looking around. It was a big room. With books lining the walls. Bookcases were everywhere. Clary looked around fascinated. She had always had a love for reading. She read almost everything, except textbooks. Sprawled on a couch was Jace playing with his stele. Alec was no where in site-thank God-as Clary looked once more around the library.

"Do you like to read?" A gravel voice came from above. She looked up and saw a thin man with gray heir and a beaky nose. He was standing beside the railing with a ravin perchered on his shoulder.

"Ever since I was a kid. How did you know?" Clary asked. The man came down the spiral steps before responding.

"You look so fascinated once you walked in, my dear. So, the missing Shadowhunter is a book lover." He spoke with an aprroved tone. Or what seemed to be. Clary couldn't quite extinguish the tone. There was something else, but Clary couldn't figure it out.

"Well, its not a missing Shadowhunters anymore." Jace corrected. He seemed to take the meeting with a dull intrest.

"Right.Now, where did you find her?" Hodge asked. He looked for them for a moment.

Finally, Jace answered. "Where the Portal disturbance was. We found her in the woods by a cabin nearby. Nothing else."

Hodge stayed silent for a moment thinking. Finally, he responded. "Does she remember anything from the past two years?"

"You could just ask me." Clary stated as if it was obvious. It was obvious though.

"Right. Sorry dear. Its just, I didn't want to scare you." Hodge told her sympathetically.

"Scare me?" Clary asked. How could he think asking her was going to scare her.

"Hodge means that he doesn't want you to overwork yourself trying to remember anything. She doesn't remember anything from 2006 on. The last thing she remembered was the night she was kidnapped." Jace told Hodge. Clary looked past her shoulder, wondering why Isabelle hadn't spoken up. The thing was, Isabelle wasn't there. Clary spun around and couldnt find her. As she turned she stumbled, and fell. Actually she didn't fall. Jace was beside her holding her up. She hadn't even see him move, much less intrested in the conversation.

"Quite trying to fall. Its extremely tedious." Jace scolded. There something in his tone that made her wonder.

"The last time I fell you found me." She reminded him.

"Oh right. So we should thank the angels for making you clumsy?" He mockingly asked her.

"You should."

"Really?"

"Enough you two." Hodge interrupted."Clary what was the night like when you were kidnapped?"

"All I can tell you that it was dark. No one was around and the sun was the only thing giving light. A cold voice saying something about being cleché. Then waking up in the fields." Clary explained to them. Jace seemed to be thinking and Hodge pondered on this before asking her something.

"Waking up in the fields? I thought you found her by a cabin, Jace?" Hodge rounded on Jace who seemed, for a first, perplexed.

"I was walking towards the cabin. I saw woods first then the cabin." Clary told Hodge before Jace could say anything.

"Alright. Well enough for now. We'll continue when we wake up." Hodge told them as he walked out of the room. This left Clary alone with Jace. She wasn't frightened, but didn't feel quite safe either. She would rather be with Jace instead of anyone else in the Institute. they were silent for a moment, before they heard a noise. She couldn't describe it, but it was there. Jace looked at her for a moment, his eyes wide before going towards a large desk with angels carved in the legs. The oak doors bursted open. Clary looked to see Isabelle and Alec eyes wide too. The brushed past Clary and went to Jace. She wondered if they even realized she was there.

"Jace?" Isabelle asked. Obviously something happened, but Clary was oblivious to it. Jace was holding a paper in his hands Isabelle leaned over to read it. Her eyes grew dangerously wide as she looked at Clary. Alec did, something sympathetic about his expression. Jace was the one who spoke. He didn't look at her when he did.

"Clary. Your mom."

"My mom what?" Clary asked in a small, thin, voice.

"She's missing. Your mom. She's missing."

Hey! Well we got to everything in the story summary. We met Hodge and the rest of them. Thanks for all the comments. Even you FandomReader or whatever your name is Leah. Comment and Vote as always. OH! Go on youtube and search 'Warrior' by Beth Crowley. I love all her music. Her songs are based on books and there amazing.

xoxo-Jen