Chapter 14 Here He Comes

They left the Institute undetected, and headed toward Magnus's. Clary brought along one of Isabelle's coats, so she wouldn't be cold. Once they arrived at the glittery teenager's doorstep, they knocked on the door.

"WHO THINKS THEY CAN AWAKEN THE GREAT MAGNUS-" Magnus had shouted, but once he opened the door he went silent. He was wearing a canary colored robe, with his hair in ruffled spikes. Even still, he had glitter on.

"Hi." Clary greeted him meekly. She waved a small hand at the warlock.

"Where's your sadistic friend?" Magnus asked, looking into the hallway. Seeing no one, he set his gaze upon Alec, Izzy, and Clary.

"He's gone." Izzy stated flatly.

Magnus raised a glittery eyebrow. "I guess that's why you need me. Come in. At least you still have the hot one with you." He shot a wink, that shed glitter, towards Alec as he spoke.

Isabelle pushed past Alec, and stepped into the apartment. Then Alec, and lastly Clary stepped through the threshold.

Magnus grabbed her arm as she walked by. "Have you found her?"

Clary widened her eyes in surprise. She never searched for her mother, she thought guiltily.

"Not yet, but I know who took her." Magnus opened his mouth to speak, but Clary beat him to it. "Yeah, Valentine."

Magnus nodded his head in understanding, and she joined Izzy and Alec. Alec gave her a questioned look, which she shrugged off as Magnus entered.

"Why do you need to wake me up, in the middle of the night?" He asked them, his voice surprisingly focused.

"Like you guessed, Jace is missing, and we need your help." Alec answered slowly. He looked at Clary and Isabelle looking for some help.

"We need to portal to Italy. Preferably where the training grounds of The Circle were." Isabelle added, and Alec shot her a grateful look. Clary didn't understand why Alec needed to help. He was doing great before.

"Ah. Well, there may be a problem." Magnus told them, studying a nail.

"What problem?" Clary asked before the others.

"You cannot afford me, little Nephilim." Magnus's eyes twinkled, almost as if he were happy about this.

"The Clave can." Alec noted. Magnus shot him an unreadable look. "Or not." He mumbled, after seeing Magnus's glare.

"Fine, do you wish I bill the New York Institute?" Magnus leaned on the wall, rubbing his head.

"Yes!" The three of them exclaimed in usion. They gave each other sheepish looks afterward, slightly embarrassed.

"Alright. To Tuscany, Italy you all go." Magnus waved a lazy hand and a blue shimmering Portal appeared in front of them. Alec looked uncertain as he stepped through it, and vanished. Izzy did the same.

"Thank you." Clary said to Magnus, as Izzy stepped through.

"Just save your mother. Luke has been giving me grief since she's disappeared." Magnus told her. Clary's eyes widened as he said Luke's name.

"Luke?" She asked, but Magnus shook his head. He gestured to the Portal, and Clary looked back at him. She nodded, just once, and ran for the Portal.

When you portaled, you felt as though you were being sucked up into a tornado. It was a feeling that you could never get used to, Clary thought. She was thrown onto the ground, and the impact made her feet stung. Surprisingly, she had stayed on her feet.