Chapter 12 My Brother

"Jonathon!?" Jace exclaimed, bewildered. "Clary, do you know him?"

"It would be hard not to." Clary sighed, not taking her eyes off her brother. He had a wicked grin plastered over his pale face. "He's my brother."

Jace didn't respond, but his face showed all his emotions; Confusion, curiosity, and betrayel.

"Well, I hope not to be an inconvenience, but I think I should talk to my sister." Jonathon said. He was looking right at Clary with a secret behind his black eyes.

Jace finally recovered. "She's not going to talk to you, Valentine's son." Jace gritted his teeth and his eyes narrowed.

"Now, who are you to decide what Clary does?" Jonathon asked pleasantly. Clary remembered his cold voice on the night he kidnapped her. No one calls me cleché.

"It doesn't matter if Jace decides. I wont go with you." Clary stated. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"You will. One day you will come to our side willingly." Jonathon told her. His voice sounded annoyed, as well as his facial expression.

"You wont even be let near Clary." Jace hissed, then he lunged forward. The seraph blade swung at her brother, who narrowly missed. Or not. His white T-Shirt had been sliced down his chest, but not scraping his skin.

"Oh, a little fun." Jonathon said, which seemed to only anger Jace more. He had daggers in his hand in a blink of an eye. He let them fly towards Jace who dodged them with his sword. Clary watch the two fight, helplessly from the sidelines.

"Clary!" Jace called to her. She focused to where he was pointing.

Behind her.

She dropped to the ground and swung her legs out. They connected with Jonathon's, and he went to the ground, surprised.

"How-" He started to say, but Jace was already there. Be held his sword to Jonathon's throat. Clary saw something fall out of his pocket; his stele.

"Clary, run" Jace demanded, but she didn't go anywhere. She was too surprised she knocked Jonathon to the ground. He was always better then her, when they trained.

"Goodbye, little sister." Jonathon twisted a ring on his hand and with a flash of silver, he was gone. Jace jerked his sword back in surprise, almost hitting Clary. She jumped out of the swords reach.

"Jace!" Clary exclaimed. Before Jace looked at her, she gravlbbed the stele and pocketed it.

"Sorry. Brother?" He asked her. He stood up, and faced Clary.

Clary averted her eyes. "I remembered. The memories screamed signals in my head, that I knew him. He trained me." Her voice gone to a whisper, thinking about her dreams. They were memories, she realized.

"You never knew-"

Clary inturupted him."No! I just got some of my memories. I never lied to you!"

"Okay. I believe you." Jace assured her. Clary didn't quite believe him, but she didn't press the matter. She was too tired. Before she was wide awake, now she couldn't wait to go to bed.

"Hodge is going to freak." Jace said to no one in particular. His voice was full of pride.

"Why do you seem so eager about telling Hodge?" Clary asked, rubbing her arm. They arrived at the gates of the Institute, and walked into the security of the building.

"I just find it amusing when he freaks out." Jace explained. His voice a little odd. "Or that's what I say to keep people from digging deeper into my actions."

"Wow. Really?"

"Really." Jace responded. They arrived at the front gates of the Institute.

"I guess we'll tell everyone in the morning?" Clary guessed.

Jace's lips curled into a grin. "Oh yeah, I'm tired."

They went their seperate ways, and Clary thought to herself proudly when she found her room.

She walked into the bedroom, and was about to fall into her bed. Except someone else was lying on her bed.

"Clary." The name came out as a statement, not a question

"Jonathon." Clay said coldly. He sat up, and the witchlight seemed to bounce off his fair hair. She wouldn't call for help yet, not before she got some information out of him.

"I didn't expect to see you with a Herondale." He told her, examining his nails.

"Herondale?" Clary questioned.

"That's right, you don't know. Your Wayland friend isn't a Wayland. He's a Herondale." Jonathon explained fondly. Clary felt more memories rushing in, she knew how Jonathon worked. She could get around his tricks.

"Does this actually matter?" Clary asked impatiently. She sat down, but didn't give Jonathon the satisfaction of the joy on her face to finally be resting. She leaned back on the desk chair.

"Not exactly." He told her. A grin spreading on his face.

"Then why tell me?"

"Because he doesn't know that." Jonathon responded.

"Whatever. Get to the point." Clary demanded, feeling way to tired to play one of Jonathons games.

"What makes you say that I'm here for something?" He asked, his grin faltered.

"Because I know you." Clary said, gritting her teeth. Now, his smile vanished, and he was beside her in a flash. He leaned down, so she could feel his lips move when he talked against her cheek.

"You may think you know me, little sister. If you knew me, you'd know why I'm here." Clary felt vulnerable with him so close. He knew her weak points, and all her moves.

"For me." Clary realized, her eyes widened in horror. "You need me to over throw our father."

"Exactly." Jonathon brought his face back and cupped her head in his hands.

"Let go of me." Clary spat. The hunger in his eyes made her stomach flip. She felt nauseous, but didn't break eye contact.

"Now, now." He started, a smile playing over his lips. "Be nice, little sister."

"Let me go!" Clary struggled to get away, but it was helpless. He had grabbed her wrist, and where his skin touched hers it felt like her skin was burning.

"Clarissa, I have given you a choice. Choose wisely." Jonathon told her, his eyes burning.

"Let her go." A voice came from the doorway. As though it was a miracle, Jace stood there his eyes burning with rage.

"Jace!" Clary exclaimed.

"Not you again." Jonathon complained. He looked down at Clary and released her wrist. His movements almost lazy as he reached for his sword. Jace threw a dagger toward, not Jonathon's hand, but his sword. Jonathon gasped in surprise as the blade cut small slices in his fingertips. Clary seeing an opening, grabbed the dagger from the floor and jammed it into her brothers back.

Jonathon's screams made Clary flinch, and she stepped back until her back hit the wall. He gripped his shoulder, where she'd stabbed him.

"Clary!" Jace called for her. He ran over, ignoring her brothers screams.

"Jace, behind you!" She screamed, but it was too late. Jonathon got up and grabbed Jace's head and slammed him into the floor. Jace went utterly still, and Clary watched in horror.

"You little-" Clary started, but never finished. Her voice trailed off as Jonathon knelt beside Jace and twisted the ring on his finger. Clary stared in disbelief.

Jace was gone.

Hey!! Sorry to leave it on such a devastating note, but it seemed to be a great place to leave off from. Ah, I really need to get him to be called Sebastian, but I have an idea at mind... Comment and Vote as usual. Please let me know how you think of the story. I really hoped you like the battle scenes, they're the only ones I've ever written. They aren't too detailed, but you get the jist if things. Love you all!!

xoxo-Jen