Chapter 27 Breaking Promises

Jace saw Clary forming something in her pretty head, surrounded by those red curls. He eyed her with suspicion, but she grinned at him, like she knew something he didn't. A certain distasteful feeling of not knowing something tugged at Jace, and he knew for a fact that Clary was hiding something. Usually, he would try to get her to tell him, but he saw the determine in her sparkling green eyes.

Even he knew Clary was too stubborn to fight with sometimes.

He sighed, and gave the ginger a smile before handing the note back to her. She gave him a peck on the lips before she wandered back over to their friends.

Jace knew be should question her, even though he trusted her.

It was only a few months he had known her, so did he really understand what was going on in her mind? He shook his head, trying to rid himself of those thoughts. He wasn't going to ruin a relationship that was the only thing making him happy. He followed Clary's footsteps back to their friends, and stopped beside Clary.

"I think that Magnus has a thing for you."

Jace looked over at Izzy in surprise, and Alec flushed furiously. He said something under his breathe, and when he tried to speak aloud he just smiled widely.

"Wait, so are we finally acknowledging the obvious?" Jace questioned, and he saw Clary roll her eyes. He gave her a smirk, and Simon answered his question.

"That Magnus is gay?"

Alec cleared his throat, still blushing furiously. "He prefers freewheeling bisexual."

They all laughed at this, and Alec nervously chuckled. "That sounds like something he would say." Clary told him, nodding, giving Alec a big grin.

"So, can we get to fighting this battle? The wait is killing me." Jace empathize, and Clary tugged on his arm. He found the small motion endearing, and he fought back a smile.

"Yes, Jace," Izzy said, walking past him, only to look back. "We can go kill things now."

"I thought you guys hunted down shadows." Simon interrupted, shrugging his shoulders as they all turned to him in confusion. "Shadow-Hunters. The name implies that you hunt shadows."

"Simon." Clary groaned, giving him a look. Simon laughed, and proceeded to playfully punch her. She punched back, and if he were human, a black and blue mark would have formed.

"Vampire." Jace addressed Simon, who glanced at him, not looking overly interested. He heard Izzy's footsteps cease, and Alec and Clary looked at him, mildly concerned as to what he had to say. "How can you be in sunlight?"

"I, uh. I-i don't remem-" Simon stuttered, bewildered at his simple question.

"Jace." Clary started, but he waved her away.

"Vampires burn in the sunlight. Why aren't you burning?" Jace insisted, but Simon started to mutter. He eyes started back and forth, and he started to shake. Clary took a step back, and they all stood in shock, as Simon begun to unravel mentally.

After moments of its sudden start, Simon fell silent and his body stopped shaking. Suddenly he screamed, as though he were a Banshee, and all of them covered their ears with their hands. Simon's deafening screams stopped, and he collapsed unto the ground.

Clary fell to her knees next to him, and Jace was at her side in an instant. Her trembling hands pressed to his neck, and Jace saw her face transform.

She looked at him, both confusion and fear in her eyes. "He has a pulse."

"What?!" He said, completely dumbfounded by her findings. Jace pressed two of his own fingers to Simon's pale neck, and sure enough, he felt a beating against the pads of his slim fingers.