Chapter 7 The Witch

They left Magnus's in a hurry only pausing to say goodbye to Magnus. Only Clary seemed to notice Magnus slipping Alec a piece of paper. Jace was too preoccupied with his plan and Isabelle had already stepped out of the threshold.

Clary was about to join Isabelle but Magnus caught her arm. "Your mother ran away to protect you. Do yourself a favor and don't throw all her hard work away. Let the Shadowhunters do the dirty work. Get your mom back, but don't get killed." Clary nodded at his demand and walked away once he released his arm. Alec gave her a confused look when she turned around. Clary shrugged it off and joined Isabelle and Jace in the hallway.

"Jace why are we seeing a witch? This better not be some trip so you can get your fortune told. Again."  Isabelle demanded.

"You went to get your fortune told before?" Clary asked, surprised. She wondered why she was so surprised. Jace loved to know everything, so why not his future?

"One time! It was at a party!" Jace stated defensively. Isabelle rolled her eyes and Clary chuckled. She couldn't help but find all this amusing. Jace looked at her with disbelief in his eyes. She raised her hands defensively. Alec had cracked a smile and Jace and Isabelle just started laughing. It was hard to believe that they had only met a day ago and that were all laughing over something stupid. Clary could really stay with them, she thought. She belonged with them.

"Alright well. Clary guess you get to go home." Jace said. Clary looked at him in alarm. She had just made up her mind about them and now they were sending her packing? Jace caught himself and explained. "The witch lives under you. You can see your house. Trust me your not going to be living in your house for a while. Guess your stuck with us." Clary sensed he made it as a joke but it was true. She knew they wouldn't be letting her go until they found her mother.

"Yeah. I guess I am." Clary smiled but couldnt help wondering. What if they never found her mother? What if when they did it was too late? They began walking down the building steps and hailed a cab. They clambered in and were silent the entire ride. Clary couldn't ponder kn any more questions seeing as she was they only one who could give the driver instructions. After 10 long minutes they arrived. Alec handed the driver the money and climbed out with the rest of them. Clary stood silent looking up at her apartment building. The brick house seemed ordinary just like the rows of apartment buildings just like it. This one was special. This was her home before her life went to hell.

"Well lets go inside." Alec suggested. Clary nodded stiffly still taking in the surroundings. They walked up the house cautiously and Jace took out a device that looked suspiciously like a phone. Only it wasn't.

"Getting any readings?" Alec asked. They were all alert unlike Clary who was more focused on memories then the device.

"No. Wait. Yes, but there pretty low. Seems to be the aftermath of demons." Jace responded.

They opened the front doors and stepped inside. Clary remembered running down the steps into the dusty hallway every morning. Even though she wanted to go straight to her apartment they went to her neighbor: Madame Dorthea.

Clary knocked on the door once. No answer. She knocked again and the door opened up. Her frail neighbor took one look at the group and tried to close the door. Tried.

Jace jammed his foot in the doorway, shoving Clary to the side and she barely fumbled and kept her balance, to her own surprise. Alec gave her a suspicious look then turned his attention back to Madame Dorthea. Clary wondered what that was all about.

"Clary?" Her neighbor gasped.

"Hi Madame Dorthea." Clary said shyly. Madame Dorthea opened the door wide and gestured them to come in. They all stepped inside. The smell of insence was intoxicating, and jars of random stuff lied on the shelves.

"What can I do for you and your Shadowhunters friends?" Madame Dorthea asked. Clary gaped at the sole fact that Madame Dorthea knew they were Shadowhunters. It was as though Madame Dorthea read her mind. "Don't be surprised my mother taught me tricks to see the Shadow World and the beings it holds."

"Your mother? She cant be a witch. Not if she had you." Isabelle insisted. Alec nodded his head in support.

"I'm not my mothers real daughter. Adopted is a term that comes close. Anyway, back to the reason your here. Which is?"

Everyone turned to Jace. He never got the chance to tell them before.

"We need to know about Clary's mother and her purpose of hiding Clary. Her mother is missing and we need to find her." Jace explained. Madame Dorthea sat down and pondered on this for a while.

Finally, Madame Dorthea found what she was going to say. "Your mother came here because of the portal. She could escape. She also told me to look out in Downworlder news for the name of Valentine. I don't know the true purpose of the entire story, since I was a minor role in it. I can tell you this. That Valentine is the one who took her."

"How do you know?" Clary questioned.

"She told me that if she ever went missing, it was Valentine who took her." Dorthea stated, vaguely. Clary sensed she knew more but wasn't letting on. Why though?

"And?" Jace asked.

"Why should I tell you. I don't owe anyone an explanation. Not even you, Clary." Madame Dorthea seemed pretty intent on this, so Clary didn't push the subject. Jace however didn't seem to think this was fair.

"Her mother is missing! You don't think what you know will help?!" He exclaimed. He had an almost wild look in his golden eyes. Madame Dorthea stayed quiet.

Clary placed her hand on Jaces arm. "Jace." He still glared at Dorthea. "Jace." He looked up at Clary and relaxed slightly. His gaze went to Clary's hand still resting on his arm. He looked at it with admiration. The look on his face made Clary flush. He never saw her flush, because he abruptly stood up.

Clary drew her arm away, a little taken back. She glanced at Alec and Isabelle, suddenly remembering they were there. Alec looked at her saith a furious look kn his face. Isabelle however was smirking. The smirk so small you couldn't really notice. But Clary did.

"Thank you for your help." Jace swung the door open and left. art made a nervous nod to her neighbor and followed Jace. Isabelle and Alec right behind her. Jace hadn't gone upstairs, but back to the road. Clary made it halfway down the steps, before she realized something.

She stopped, abruptly, and Isabelle and Alec pushed past her. Clary turned around and ran up the steps. She needed to go back to her home, and Jaces anger problems weren't going to stop her.  She didn't look back either, when she heard Jaces protest. She pushed the door open, and stepped inside. It wasn't bright, nor anything like she remembered.  It was dark, the windows boarded up and candles lit around the room. She stopped, sensing she wasn't the only one there.

She barely heard the steps on the stairs, because they were drowned out by her screams. A slim, dark figure slid into view. It was nothing but a blur until it came to a stop in front of Clary.

She had no weapon, she had nothing. Except her own hands. She shoved him back inside, knocking him to the ground.

Jace and the others were by her side. Looking into her old apartment with horror.

"Clary, what did you just do?" Disbelief drenched Jaces words. Clary had only one answer.

"I guess I should introduce you. That's my bestfriend. That, is Simon Lewis."

Just like Clary, Jace had only one response.

"Well, I'll be damned."

HEY!!! So there's going to be new characters added and Simon is already a vampire...just to clarify that. Alec is getting suspicious!!!!!!! Comment what you think is going to happen. Please comment and vote. Thanks for everyone sticking with this story. I may or may not be writing another story. Its not TMI or anything with Shadowhunters sadly, but I think that its pretty good. Ill see if I have time or not.

Seriously though. I want to know what you think about the story and what's going to happen. I'd love to see what ideas you have. If I like the idea ill incorporate it into the story. Love all my fans if I got any!!!

xoxo-Jen