Chapter 17 Midnight Rescue

Clary had fallen asleep against Jace's shoulder, as one of his arms wrapped around her. He was the only thing that kept her from getting hypothermia, Clary thought. She didn't know what had awoken her, but was actually glad she did. Looking up at Jace's face, calmed her. His expression peaceful, and vulnerable to Clary's artist eyes.

Almost immediately after Clary shivered, Jace woke up alert and tense. Sensing no immediate danger, Jace relaxed slightly and looked down at Clary.

"Why doesn't this place have a fireplace or something?" He asked her, glancing at their cell.

"I think it would defeat the purpose." Clary stated, her lips curled into a grin.

"What purpose?" Jace wondered aloud. A piece of his hair had fallen into his face, and Clary yearned to brush it out. She didnt, though, because a loud crash distracted both of them. They both stood up immediately, and walked cautiously over to the bars.

Screams came from the upstairs, and yells. She could her brother's frustrated yells. Clary and Jace looked at each other, curiously. Jace raised an eyebrow, when he heard another familiar voice and a crash.

"Jace! Clary!"

In any other situation it would be alright to laugh, not this situation. Clary looked at Jace, surprised to see him laughing.

"What?" Clary questioned. She stepped back from the cell bars to have a better look at Jace.

His smile grew and grew, as he heard the frustrated voices. "I think we might have some company."

Clary nearly groaned at his words. "Really? That's what your laughing about?"

"No." Jace breathed, obviously trying to contain himself. "It's the way our rescue team came in. They didn't even try to sneek us out. Nope, the just decided to yell and scream."

A flash of realization hit Clary. "Isabelle and Alec." The words rolled of as a statement, rather then a question.

"Clary!" A new voice had screamed, one Clary dreaded to hear here.

"My mom isn't suppose to be here! Sebastian will gladly kill her!" Clary exclaimed. She clasped her hands around the bars, as of trying to pull them out. The smoke gave nothing away, so all they had were the screams and clashes above.

Isabelle swung her whip towards Sebastian, only to miss and hit a coffee table. The sound of the glass breaking rang in her ears, as she tried again. Alec's bow and arrow went off like a gun, trying to hit Sebastian. Each blow, each arrow missed. He's too fast for our weapons, Isabelle thought glumly.

"Alec, he's dodging everything!" Isabelle yelled over the chaos of battle. She ducked as a dagger flew towards her.

"Don't you think I see that!" He exclaimed, clearly agitated. His arrow was a hair away from Sebastian's head, and Alec clentched his fist in frustration. "Damn it!"

"Do you think you can hit me? With the weapons you have? I can see where they'll be and I am fast enough to dodge them." Sebastian told them mockingly. He stood still, and gave them a menacing look.

"Someone got you." Isabelle noted, examing the slice on his shirt. She and Alec stopped wasting their weapons, and stood in front of Sebastian. She figured the kitchen was behind him.

"Yes, an annoying angel boy." Sebastian snapped. "It didn't even penetrate my skin." He placed a finger in the slice, and Isabelle saw a muscular stomach. Through just the cut, she knew he was strong enough to over power them, with a single hand. They weren't going to win this. They needed Jace.

"Who's angel boy?" Alec asked. His hands tensed on the bow, and glared at Sebastian. Isabelle studied Sebastian's movements, and realized something.