Chapter 28 Being Betrayed

Clary helped Simon up, trying to help him regain his balance. In the corner of her eye, she saw Jace giving her a look that she wish she never saw. Especially when she was on the receiving end.

"Your okay?" Clary inquired, and Simon nodded, and let out a deep breathe.

"I think I can stand by myself." Simon told her, and she quickly let his arm go, and walked backwards. She stood close, in case he had another freak incident.

"Can we get going?" Isabelle asked, and Clary barely heard Jace give her an answer. She was too busy with the thoughts that occupied her mind.

It was more like two questions, which had her make up scenarios in her mind as to how they would play out. One: How was she going to convince everyone to give Sebastian the Ivory Weapons? Two: How was she going to get Jace off her back?

Clary wasn't an idiot. She saw how he was beginning to question her motives and actions. That look he gave her wasn't one she was fond of. She knew that Jace was too observant to pass by the fact that she had a different plan in mind. It was something that could be viewed as a curse or a blessing, and in this case it was a curse.

A thought came to her, as she looked at her friends. Clary knew that she would have to split from her friends sooner or later. She had just hoped that she could be with them most of the trip. Without them, she just had her weapons to protect her.

Also, she would be breaking the trust she worked so hard to get. It was only a couple of months ago that they found her lying on the ground, scared to death. Now, she thought of those same people, as though they were called family.

"Guys, I'll be right back." Clary announced, an idea popping into her mind. She desperately hoped it would worked, but covered those feelings with fake confidence.

"Where are you going?" Jace questioned. Clary heard the suspicion clear in his tone, so she rolled her eyes, trying to disguise her real intentions. Here it goes, time to put on a show, Clary thought, and her lips tugged into a forced smile. She prayed that it wasn't as noticeable as Simon's fangs.

"I'm going to the bathroom. I really don't want to climb a mountain with a bladder full of pee." Clary told him matter of factly. He eyed her suspiciously, but she merely rolled her eyes.

"Izzy, do you need to go?" She invited Isabelle along, and that clearly threw Jace off. Jace clearly doubted her skills of deceiving people, and that hurt her. It was as though he doubted her skills as a Shadowhunter, in all.

Actually, it impressed her. He was able to detect that she had other plans, while the rest of them were oblivious. Plus, he hadn't warned any of them, meaning that he hoped he was wrong. That's where he made a mistake.

First rule of being a Shadowhunter; Do not hesitate.

"No. I went before we went through the portal." She responded, with a usual sense of pride. Clary shrugged her shoulders, hiding the fact that this made things ten times easier.

"Where are you going to go?" Alec asked her, and she responded by pointing at one of the small houses.

"I don't think we are in the actual Rome, Italy. We're probably in Sebastian's own little version of it. So, these houses should be deserted and hopefully have working plumbing." Clary smiled at her friends, before she looked into Jace's troubled golden eyes.

"May I go?"

Jace scoffed before shaking his head at her. "You don't really need my permission."

"Thank you." Clary said sarcastically lightening the mood. She turned around, and a proud smile tugged at her lips. For once, she was glad that she was trained by Valentine. His lessons included physical and mental parts of being a soldier. You had to be able to throw someone against a wall, if you couldn't deceive them.