Chapter 16 Back to Square One

Clary was in a dull looking highway. She looked at the deserted road, in intrest, with newspapers scattered everywhere.

"Clary." A voice called for her. It was faint and seemed to come from no where.

"Sister." An amused voice spoke. This time it came from somewhere, no someone. Clary crossed her arms around her chest, protectively.

"Sebastian." Clary greeted him with a cold stare. What shocked her was his eyes. They were green like fields in spring. He looked so peaceful, almost completely different.

He looked down, seemingly ashamed. "I'd rather you call me Jonathon, here. It's the only place I roam. My real name would suit me fine, now."

Clary let her hands fall from their crossed position. She heard the kindness leaking into her voice. "Alright, Jonathon. What do you mean this is the only place you roam?"

He spread his arms, as he gestured around. "This is where I can be me. Who I really am suppose to be. I'm in your mind, Clary. Help me. I want to fix all the wrongs I have done and will do. I want to help you."

"How?" Clary asked desperately. She took a step forward, feeling assured by his presence.

"You'll need all the pieces first." He told her, giving her a genuine smile.

"Pieces of what?" Clary questioned. She heard her own voice echo, and her surroundings dissolving. The last thing she saw were her brothers green eyes.

She heard her brothers response. The words confused her entirely.

"The Ivory Weapons."

"Clary." A hushed voice repeated. "Clary, wake up."

Clary felt groggy, and hands shaking her awake. Her dream still fresh in her mind.

"I'm up, I'm up." She breathed. She had yet to open her eyes, but didn't. She feared what she's see. She placed her hands over them, as though adding a barrier. She knew who was shaking her awake. She knew who's hands still rested on her shoulders.

"Clary. What are you doing?" Jace asked. She heard a hint of amusement, and confusion in his voice. She held her hands tighter to her face, as if trying to block the world out.

"I don't want to look. If I look, then this is all real." Clary explained. She heard the despair echo around her. The cold floor making her shift uncomfortably.

"Clary." He paused. She felt his hands leave her shoulders, only to place themselves on her hands. The contact made electricity go through her body.

"Clary." He whispered. "It's all right. He's gone. Jonathon's gone." His words hit her like a slap, until she realized what he meant.

"Don't you mean Sebastian?" Clary corrected. She shut her eyes harder, envisioning her dream with Jonathon. Her good older brother.

"Does it matter?"

"Yes." Clary said, hearing the fierceness in her voice. "Sebastian is the one who trapped us in here. Jonathon is the boy who never got to be the way he was supposed to be." Jace's hands almost left hers in surprise. His voice was as confused as she was in her dream.

"Who was he suppose to be?" Jace asked gently. She was surprised by the softness in his voice, and was oddly assured by it.

"My older brother." Clary responded. Her voice so low that Jace barely heard her.

"Well, right now he's not." Jace said, his voice gone odd. "Right now we're stuck in a cell. Clary, look."

"I can't." She told him, and repeated herself. "I can't."