Selfish Pain

by: nuuuge

Summary:

Prince Niall is the youngest son of King Tomlinson. His older brothers Louis and Liam are Alphas while Niall is an Omega. Everything changes the day King Malik comes for a state visit.

°•°•°

Prince Niall hated how he was always locked up. He wasn’t allowed to run around, dirty the expensive and fine clothing, nor was he allowed to learn how to fight with a sword like his older brothers did.

No, Prince Niall was not allowed to do any of these things. He was delicate, small, frail, in the eyes of society and therefore forced to stay indoors, learn to sew and how to bow properly, to always walk three steps behind an alpha and so on. The whole etiquette of what it meant to be a royal Omega.

Louis and Liam, his older brothers were Alphas. They got to run around outside, ride on the fastest horses and let the metal of their swords crash together over and over again, parrying in good style.

Longingly, Niall set his gaze out at his brothers, wishing he  could join them, much like he’d done when he was much younger, too little to understand proper table setting and manners. His parents, the King and Queen had let him be until he reached the ripe age of 8, then he had to be confined to the Omega towers and learn how to become the perfect spouse to a future King.

Niall hated it all. He hated how he had to smile at all the suitors how he always walked a few steps behind his family, head always bowed and hood over his head. He hated it all with a passion, but he learnt to accept this.

There were a few other Omega boys learning with him. None from as noble a background, but just as important. They were all excited to meet their future lordlings, they all wanted this life of babies and domestic life. Niall never did.

He was naïve to believe that he would somehow find freedom, but Niall kept hoping.

“Prince Niall.” His teacher scolded the young boy who had completely forgotten that he was supposed to sew a new hood together with bright colors. Niall was too busy staring at his brothers and all the fun they were having.

“Excuse me.” Niall shifted his head down, hood falling over his eyes before continuing with the sewing. His delicate fingers got caught in the fabric more often than not and he kept poking the needled into them. He didn’t yelp, didn’t so much as bat an eyelash because it was unbecoming for an Omega to let out loud noises.

Omegas were to be quiet, kneel for their future master and help around the home. None of the things they were learning was for a future by their future suitors side, but at their knees.

Kneeling was the part Niall hated the most. His legs always ached after and seeing his brothers and parents sit on comfortable chairs, while he was forced down onto his knees on a pillow, just felt utterly unfair.

But the last thing Niall wanted was to embarrass his family so he grit his teeth and sat there, still as he could.

The lessons of the day ended far too late and all the hooded Omega Boys got to leave the tower and join their families.

Omegas had to walk with dignity, hoods always up when they were near Alphas and Betas, quietly passing by. Omega boys were rare, more rare than any other second gender. They were treasured and whoever managed to win one had more power than someone who didn’t.

Niall walked to the courtyard where Louis, Liam and a few other knights in training were sitting around drinking water and laughing loudly.

Niall knew he shouldn’t. Louis and Liam weren’t alone, there were other people around, but Niall just wanted to hang out with his older brothers, wished they both had more time for him, so he made his way towards the group of young Alpha Men.