21 • Wake Up Alone

Chapter Twenty-One

❝Love is like a stream of water;

if you must force its path, it was not meant for you.❞

Her eyes were still wide open.

     It was past midnight, and she couldn't get over what had happened at the beach. Zach had apologised profusely, and El had to reassure him millions of times that it wasn't his fault. He couldn't have known. Not when she hadn't told anyone about it.

     Other than Jeff, Wanda and any person that's been here long, she didn't like parading her newfound fear. Even Daisy, who knew about her parents' death, had no clue. It just seemed foolish and downright embarrassing.

     And she didn't know what to think now that the new people in her life knew. In a way, she felt glad — she didn't have to pretend or hide secrets anymore. But at the same time, she didn't like the feeling of someone having something over her that they hadn't before. It was scary. Like they could use it against her.

     She knew none of them would, but the dread still lingered.

     El sighed. She just needed sleep. Glancing at her phone, she quickly skimmed the missed calls she'd made to Travis. They hadn't been spending as much time together as they should. And remembering what Daisy said — about them being high school sweethearts — she wanted to reconcile that. 

     But no answer. Her head was buzzing.

     Where the hell could he be?

     A sudden ping! sounded off her phone.

     TRAVIS: I'm in front of your door. Open up.

     El frowned and re-read the text. He was here? But — how —

     She kicked off her duvet and stepped off the bed, tiptoeing downstairs as quickly and quietly as she could. There was no way Travis Porter was by her door at two in the morning.

     But she opened the door, and there he was, his fist about to knock.

    "Travis!" she hissed. "What are you doing here?"

    "It's nice to see you too, babe," he leaned in and kissed her on the mouth, before letting himself in.

     Suppressing her bewilderment, she closed the door softly before turning to him. "Do you even know what time it is? You can't just show up in my front door like this!"