17 • Color Me Blue

Chapter Seventeen

❝Clouds floated into his life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, 

but to add colour to his sunset sky.❞

The ride home was exhausting.

     The boys had just returned to the apartment after yet another long day. Chase immediately went to the bathroom for a shower, and the two boys plopped down on the couch by the living room.

    "I'm fucking beat," Zach let out.

     Theo gave him a glance, looking at the dark circles under his eyes, remembering that this trip was, first and foremost, about Zach and the Championships. "Looks like it."

    "Where were you, anyway?" Zach slapped his feet on the vanity table. "Not to sound like a clingy-ass boyfriend, but you were suppose to get me a fuckin' lemonade." He paused, his tone eerily serious. "You know how I like my lemonades."

    "I was hanging out with El — " He stopped himself, eyes widening at the mistake he just made. Shit. " — and, uh, Chase."

     On instinct, he patted his bag, feeling the colour pencil box set. When he first saw them, he thought it was some kind of joke. But the sincerity in her eyes had not been mistaken. Her smile was not taken for granted. She showed him that his sketches did matter.

     Zach raised his eyebrows. "You've been spending a lot of time with her lately."

    "Just because you're busy and I'm stuck with her."

    "Sure, Theodore."

     He hated it when his best friend was right. He rolled his eyes and stood up, heading towards the kitchen for a drink. "What? Just say what you want to fucking say."

     Zach looked up at him. "I'm just looking out for you, brother."

    "She has a boyfriend."

    "Exactly."

    "I should say the same for you," Theo retorted back, turning around when they were already a few feet apart. "You didn't think I noticed your little shows with her? This time you're asking for another punch, Zach."

     The blond angled his head to give him a side glance. "At least I have a motive. I don't actually really like the chick."

    "Me neither."