10 • Better Questions

Chapter Ten

❝When the weight is on your shoulders,

remember that diamonds are made under the weight of mountains.❞

The sound of an alarm.

     Imagine hearing that at 4:30 in the morning on a Monday.

     It was moments like these where Theo questioned himself why he decided to share an apartment with his best friend. Yes, it was in a sudden spurt of the moment when he hopped in the last flight available, and yes, it was something that he needed to do for himself while knowing there was no other choice.

     But Zach fucking Wright.

     Theo groaned and stretched his arm over his head to deactivate the damn thing, but much to his annoyance, only swayed empty space. He briefly pinched his nose in frustration before kicking the thin blanket off of the mattress and stomping outside the room. He was careful not to wake Chase up, who was sleeping soundlessly on Theo's bed.

     He banged Zach's door open and strode towards the desk that had the damn alarm ringing like it was the end of the world.

    "You left it on again, dickhead," he muttered, shaking his friend up without remorse. Zach began to groan and blinked repeatedly. "You could've woken Chase up. And now you're late."

     He knew Zach liked getting things done first thing in the morning, but he forgot how early. Dawn hadn't even set yet.

     And there were new things to consider — Chase.

     Theo wasn't ready to talk what happened. And it seemed that Zach wasn't too inclined, either. In fact no one had brought it up again, including Chase himself, who had returned to his normal happy mood. So as a default, they decided to let the incident slide for a while.

     Even if that could make things worse.

     With the effects of the alarm still ringing in his ear, Theo decided it was time to start the day anyway. After dragging himself to the kitchen to make some coffee, taking a quick shower, and putting on a black T-shirt and gym shorts, he joined Zach in the living room.

    "You're going to the gym with me?" Zach asked, dumbfounded.

     Theo rolled his eyes. "I'm going to pretend you didn't just insult me. And no, I'm not. I'm going for a run."