40 • Waiting Game

Chapter Forty

❝It was on a cold and dark night,

that he saw the calm before the storm.❞

Everything was perfect. 

     His legs were pumping, shoes scraping against the pavement as the rock music blasted through his earphones. Theo hadn't had another run in a while. It was time to get back in shape, especially at the fact of how utterly good his life had become so far.

     He and his family were getting along. Chase was having the best time of his life. Theo got the girl of his dreams. Zach was winning what he wanted. It seemed like everything was finally clicking into place.

     But Theo had a habit of expecting the worse. And the silence was so loud. Like it was the calm before the storm; like it was a waiting game.

     Waiting for what, he didn't exactly know.

     He shook his head repeatedly as if that would shake off these thoughts, increasing his speed a bit. He was just being paranoid. El had told him the exact same thing. 

     Morning had quickly transitioned to afternoon, and the sun became too unbearable. The blistering heat had one advantage though: he was starting to get a tan. 

     A far cry from the pale, sullen boy who stumbled at night.

     A café-coloured street met his view, with the aroma of pies and macarons teasing him from every corner. One bakery caught his eye, as it was adorned with various, colourful flowers that made the bakery seem to grow right out of its roots with it. 

     He thought of coffee and pastries and a sunshine-filled girl.

     His hands were already on his phone, about to invite her for brunch or literally anything just to have her here with him. But something caught his eye. Near the said bakery.

     Travis.

     But he wasn't alone. No, he was talking to... Alex?

     What the fuck?

     His eyebrows furrowed as he squinted at the scene, making sure he wasn't imagining it. It was them. But what was El's ex-boyfriend doing with Alex? How did they even know each other? And why did it look like they were the best of fucking friends?

     His fingers itched to take a picture but, despite Travis and Alex not noticing him, he still didn't want to look like a creep. So he just watched, seeing their conversation unfold through hand gestures and facial expressions. Alex passing Travis something. Them laughing. A typical pat in the back.