39 • Summer Lovin'

Chapter Thirty-Nine

❝She never wanted a quiet, sensible sort of love.

She wanted to be devoured.❞

The lesser time they had, the more reckless they were.

     To celebrate Zach qualifying for the finals, and to finally, truly experience the last few days of summer madness — without the brooding, teenage angst, and anyone working or competing — the four teenagers decided to do something different.

     Zach tapped on the microphone awkwardly. "Uh," he cleared his throat. "Hello? Is this thing on? Guys, I think it's — "

     Daisy smacked his head. "It's working just fine, you idiot."

     The crowd in front of them murmured in laughter. The karaoke bar they'd picked was flattering enough: its seductive lights, the occasional corners of neon colours, the sound of glasses clinking against each other and the smell of spilled beer and cigarettes. The ambiance of the crowd was one of only slight intoxication.

     It was only the four of them, though, since Jeff insisted he didn't want to go. Claiming that he didn't want to be a "fifth" wheel once Daisy announced she wasn't inviting Julian.

     El understood that fair and square.

    "When the sun shine, we shine togetha'!" Zach sang at the top of his lungs. "Told you I'll be here foreva'!"

    "Said I'll always be your friend, took an oath, I'm a stick it right to the end!" El and Daisy followed after, borderline screaming.

     The only one who didn't get a solo was Theo, who refused to subject himself to such humiliation. And even then, his singing voice would sound like a programmed robot. So El would only force him to sing if it was a grouped chorus.

    "You can stay under my umbrella," Zach gestured to El, eyes sparkling with mischief. "You can stay under my umbrella, ella, ella, El, El  "

    "Alright, stop serenading my girlfriend," Theo snapped.

     Apparently that caught the mic, because the crowd did an ooohs and aaahs in response. The girls just giggled in response, knowing it was more annoyance than real jealousy. Zach just looked even more amused and held his hands up with an oh shit look on his face.