43 • Anchor Up To Me

Chapter Forty-Three

❝How long is forever? Alice asked.

Sometimes, the white rabbit answered — just one second.❞

El saw him disappear into the sea.

     And all rational thoughts flew out of her head.

    "Theo!" she screamed, sprinting as fast as her body let her, elbowing whoever was in the way, keeping her eyes fixed on the blue-eyed boy that looked further and further away the more second passed by. "Theo!" 

     Heavy stomps were moving fast behind her as well, though she didn't waste time to look back to see who was foolish enough to follow her. Unless they were going to help.

     Help her do what? she screamed in her mind. What the hell do you think you're going to do?

     "Theo!" Her throat scratched from screaming too loud and her legs were aching, but she couldn't stop, not with the adrenaline thrumming in her bones.

     And the fear. The absolute fear.

     Get to him and everything will be okay.

     "Eleanor!" Coach Banks ran towards her and stepped firmly in front of her. He gripped her shoulders, holding her back without trying to hurt her. "Don't follow him! It's not safe for — "

     She shoved him away and wasn't even apologetic for it.

     But by the time she was already a few feet away from the shoreline, Theo had already dove in, his figure swallowed by the massive wave that was tearing the ocean apart.

     El rammed her feet into the sand, abruptly halting her steps.

    "Theo!"

     She couldn't breathe. Her lungs felt like they were being suffocated. He's gone, her thoughts fractured in her mind, he's gone in, he's gone.

     Her next options came in an instant: she couldn't do anything if she stayed there and waited for help. She couldn't just watch him disappear. She had  to do something. She couldn't... she couldn't lose him like she lost her parents. When she was useless to try to stop it.