29 • Safety Net

Chapter Twenty-Nine

❝She was supposed to be a safe harbour for him.

But she had storms of her own, too.❞

They were kissing.

     His mouth was on hers, and Eleanor closed her eyes, pulling him closer. Theo's lips were soft yet strong and demanding, as if this had been a desire burning deep inside of him, as if she was oxygen and he was drowning and he could finally breathe.

     Their body reactions were almost instant. He pulled her entirely against him, and she was sure he could feel her heart thumping wildly as they met chest to chest. She held on to his neck and she felt him shiver against her lips, felt him breathing heavily as he broke away, only to lean in and capture her mouth again.

     Was this how it felt when a soul called to another? To have one's lips feel foreign and strange, yet so familiar? To have your heart skip a beat, adrenaline in your blood, and wanting more of it?

     He tilted his head, deepening the kiss. In response, she pulled at his hair a bit, making him let out a soft groan against her mouth.

    "Theo," she rasped.

     He pulled away, and she ached for him again, but his mouth found her neck, leaving marks all over her skin, and she gasped at the sensation. He continued his way up, on the spot behind her ear, then her cheek, but just as he went to capture her mouth again, she stopped him.

     This was wrong. This was so, so wrong.

    "Wait," she breathed.

     Theo's own breath was as rapid and heavy as hers, their foreheads touching. Her head was spinning with thoughts, and her body felt warm and dazed, like she'd been drinking too much. And her heart — stars, her heart was about to burst.

    "We can't," she whispered, "we can't do this."

    "Why not?" he murmured, nudging her nose with his. "You know how I feel about you. And I know you feel the same way about me, too." Then he frowned, pulling away a bit. "At least I hope so."

     El was quiet.

    "Oh God, I'm an idiot, aren't I? I shouldn't have — "

    "No," she said softly, the one word sounding so loud in the quiet space between them. "I do feel the same way, Theo."