42 • Bad Habits

Chapter Forty-Two

❝Hell existed. It was here, 3 AM,

and without her.❞

Too good to be true.

      Too fucking good to be true. Theo knew something like that was bound to happen. He'd expected it. He had known all along.

    "Today is the day you've all been waiting, folks!" A familiar voice blared through the speakers, one prominent figure he remembered as Coach Banks. "It's the final round of the East Coast Championships! After weeks of intense heats, we finally have three finalists — place your bets! Travis Porter, Julian Dallas and Zachary Wright everyone!"

     Theo opted not to help with Anchor's sponsor position this time. It seemed wise after everything that had happened.

     Though still...

     El looked like the first time he saw her after the night they met: running, frantic and carrying a concerning amount of water bottles.

    "Need some help?!" he smirked at her playfully.

    "Theo!" El looked so relieved. "Yes, please!"

     He helped her pass water bottles to the staff, his mind grappling to stay focus amongst the crowd. He'd never seen Bond Beach like this before: people on each other's shoulders, posters of "Go Porter!" or "Wright will win the fight!" flying, more locals gathered than usual.

    "You sure you're okay?!" he asked her, resting his hand on her waist protectively. "It's like the Super Bowl out here!"

    "I'm fine!" But he could tell she was breathless.

     Theo grabbed one water bottle and held it out to her. El stared at it for a while before grabbing it hesitantly, a sheepish smile on her lips. He rolled his eyes in endearment. The girl took care of everyone but herself.

    "Don't pass out, love!" He kissed her forehead lightly. "I'll have to come save the day, and I'm not feeling heroic at the moment!"

     El's grin was too adorable. "I have to go — "

    "Go!" He nudged her to the crowd, but before letting herself go completely, she pulled him towards her and planted a big kiss on his mouth. He immediately reacted, slanting his lips to cover more of hers.