41 • Charity Case

Chapter Forty-One

❝She fell for the idea of him,

and ideas were dangerous things to love.❞

Two days before finals.

     It felt like only yesterday did the East Coast Championships started. Only yesterday that she was carrying water bottles with her bare hands and collided with Theo. Met Zach. Got sucked into this world with them.

     It made sense that today was one of the most crowded days of the summer. Though it was not finals yet, the coordinators of the championships held a "practice" day in which the finalists basically show off what they got. It was suppose to be somewhat private, but spectators recognised the surfers and got a little too excited.

     The bad part was, since this was all unexpected, Anchor's was short on servers. Most of them were taking care of the mass influx of customers at the shack, leaving very little people available to attend to the championships itself as a sponsor.

     But that was what friends are for.

    "Okay, Daisy, you take care of the refreshments for the finalists," El instructed, passing her a note of things she needed to obtain from the shack, "and Theo, you make sure the lunches are set and ready for the judges and coaches. Don't forget to add a water bottle for each of them."

    "You're so cute when you're bossing me around."

     El grinned and tiptoed to kiss his cheek. "Thank you for doing this."

    "Just say the word, love — "

     Daisy shoved him forward. "Okay! Less lovey-dovey and more work!"

     Theo rolled his eyes and let Daisy go forward anyway, staying with El for a little longer. She expected for him to return the kiss.

    "I need to tell you something before I go," he cleared his throat.

     She blinked. "Sure, what is it?"

     He bit his lip. "It's about Travis." El almost dropped her notepad. What did he do now? "Nothing happened, it's just something I ought to mention. The other day when I was running, I, uh, saw him... talking to Alex."

     El's frown deepened even more. "Alex? Like — asshole Alex?"

     Theo chuckled. "Yeah, Asshole Alex. Anyway, it looked like they were friends, and apparently they go to the same school together."