09 • Call His Name

Chapter Nine

❝Face it, she was lovely.

And it had nothing to do with her beautiful face.❞

She tried calling his name.

     Honestly, if Eleanor had known she was going to talk to a wall for the rest of her Sunday afternoon, she would've just stayed in bed. Watch some Netflix, play bingo with her grandparents, or even work another shift in Anchor's.

     But when Travis called earlier, she hoped it would be different.

     It started like a dream: the couple walked hand-in-hand, to a cute restaurant by the District where it was adorned with beautiful vines and bushes. He reserved a table for two out in the open, knowing she loved being outdoors and feeling the sunlight soak her skin. For that little effort of attention, she kissed him right then and there.

     And so the day had begun. They talked, laughed, and embraced — the trivial things that made Eleanor's whole body pool with warmth. It felt so much like when they were younger. When they idled by their lockers, skipped class, stole kisses in the dark. Where they would then get in trouble.

     Only to come back to each other in the end.

     Then he picked up his phone and suddenly she was on mute.

    "Trav." Eleanor clicked her fingers in front of his face. "Trav."

     He looked up abruptly. "Hey, I'll call you back." After exchanging a few other words, he finally pocketed his phone, giving her a sheepish smile. "Sorry, babe."

    "I thought we were on a date," she huffed.

    "We are." He laced their fingers together on the table. "It was just some friends on my ass. Hey, I shouldn't have picked up the phone, okay? I'm sorry. I'm a dick."

    "No, you're not," she smiled, ruffling his hair.

     He grabbed that hand and brought it to his lips, kissing her knuckles and looking at her affectionately. "Yes, I am."

     She giggled. "When am I going to meet your friends, anyway? It won't be long until I'm at Warwick."

     While her boyfriend was going to be in his second year (he started late in comparison to his classmates), Eleanor was coming in as a freshman this summer. It wasn't as dramatic as it looked — they had been together for quite a while now, and she was used to the three-year gap between them.