22 • Little Game

Chapter Twenty-Two

❝The human face is, after all,

nothing more nor less than a mask.❞

Who the hell was this guy?

     That was what went through Theo's head seeing Travis Porter for the first time. As if the fight he started with his best friend didn't show Travis's true colours — which was a quick-tempered, self-centred asshole — it was how he brought himself around people that irritated Theo to the bones.

     He oozed cockiness and superiority, like he truly considered himself the king of the beach. His posture was good, but almost too good: shoulders back and chin held high, in a way that made him look down on others. No doubt he'd been this town's version of a football star; the golden surfer boy, if that was the equivalent. That also explained his smugness over the championships like he had won it already.

     But it was that greedy look in his eyes as he took in everyone's stares. That arrogant, shit-eating grin that said I can get everything I want in the tips of his fingers.

     And he wore that look best when he looked at El.

   "Careful, you're staring," Zach muttered, nudging him.

     His glare shifted to his friend. "I'm just wondering if their idea of a volleyball game included an unsolicited make-out session."

    El and Travis had been at it for too long, and Theo was finding it hard to keep the volleyball to himself and not throw it at the douchebag's face. Because if he did, it would hurt El, too, considering the fact that their faces were attached to each other.

    "Hey," Daisy clicked her fingers in front of them. "Save the action for the bedroom, guys."

     Theo shut his eyes in pain for a moment. Imagining them in the bedroom was much, much worse.

     Travis finally released his hold on her, and El pushed him back firmly, her cheeks tinted red. But she didn't so much glance at Theo, nor at the others, like she was embarrassed. Travis, however, gathered her close at the waist and didn't bat an eye.

    "Jealousy looks ugly on you, Clementine," Travis tsked.

     Daisy flipped him the finger.

     When they were finally settling the teams for the game, it seemed that they met a predicament. They needed one more player.

    And Travis had his sights on someone.