04 • Ghost's Past

Chapter Four

Every rose has its thorns. 

People just had to find the one that they're willing to bleed for.

He was in trouble.

     He knew, because Lenny was not convinced. Whatever he had exposed to her couldn't be erased from her mind — so there was only one thing he could do. 

     Avoid the hell out of her.

     It was easier said than done. Since Lenny was one of the sponsors of the Championships, she was always up and about in Bond Beach. And Theo couldn't not be there either; he had to support Zach, and not only for gratitude but as his best friend. Skirting around the coast for hiding spots would also raise a few red flags, and Theo didn't want Zach to know that that night unsettled him more than he'd let on.

     Being as careful as he was, it didn't stop the almost run-ins. Whichever business she was working with — he remembered something about a shack — was popular enough to keep her running back and forth. More times than he'd like, he'd catch her fleeting smile and bright laughter that trailed her footsteps. It was like he knew when she was coming before he even saw her.

     One day, it was getting more crowded than usual. Orientations were over and the real rounds had begun. Knowing his friend was used to this kind of attention, Theo tapped his shoulder.

    "I'm going to head out for a while!" he shouted.

    "Go ahead, it's getting crazy here!" Zach yelled back, eyes pinging around the beach. "Hey, to save your lonely ass, why don't you hang out with that Lenny chick? Her place is probably right around the corner!"

     Yeah, I've been there. "Don't have an appetite!"

    "I'm just saying you can find a good spot to sit or something!"

    "Comforting, but I'll have to pass!"

     Zach peered at his best friend, suspicious. "Am I just overthinking or am I getting the sense that you don't like this girl?!"

    "I don't!" he let out. "I mean, I don't don't like this girl, but — it's complicated!"

     The blond bursted into laughter. "And for what reason? She's nice, smiles a lot, and easy on the eyes. It's a nice change from hanging out with you!" He glared. "But you do think she's cute, right?"