20 • Not A Promise

Chapter Twenty

❝She hides in her world of laughter and friends,

but when she's alone, the pain starts.❞

Zach was looking at them with anticipation.

    "You want us to what?" Theo let out.

    "You heard me," Zach grinned, standing in front of El, Theo and Chase with his surfboard all while the brothers were lounging in the Anchor's stools and the girl was serving as usual. "It's time all you lazy asses learn the art of this old, ancient aquatic sports. What other reason would you go to the beach for?"

    "Multiple reasons," the other boy muttered. "To relax, to tan, to enjoy the view and to not listen to your never-ending bullsh — "

    "Think hard before finishing that sentence, Theodore."

     Theo smiled sweetly before flashing the finger.

     Chase raised his hand. "I want to learn how to surf!"

    "We all know you want to, kid," Zach chuckled. "You have special talent. Not like these two losers over here. We're not going to be young forever, folks."

    "I'd like to personally object."

     El's eyes widened. In synchronisation, the four turned their heads towards the voice. 

     Daisy Clementine was standing right behind them, grinning like they were all part of a game and that game was hers.

    "This is a closed matter," Zach stated, putting a hand on his hip.

    "Well, now I'm opening it." Daisy glanced at her. "'Sup, McKinney."

    "Uh, hi."

     She was trying so hard not to be awkward, which isn't usually her way to go. But Daisy's abrupt return left her in a daze sometimes. Should they hug? High-five? Shake hands?

     El was awfully confused.

    "Did you not hear me?" Zach repeated. "This surfing lesson is exclusively for the people right here." His finger did a rotating gesture around them, clearly excluding her.

    "Don't be prejudiced. We're all suited to the occasion, aren't we?"

     You see, as summer prolonged and the sun heated, so did their appearance. Zach was wearing his signature board shorts, but El had seen him shirtless so many times, it's become normal. Chase, meanwhile, had adopted Zach's methods for the first time — and the boy looked like the most confident kid she'd ever met.