13 • Get Too Close

Chapter Thirteen

❝She didn't have to break his heart to completely destroy him; 

all she had to do was smile.❞

She couldn't believe it.

     The more Eleanor drew closer, the more she realised her suspicious were right. Especially when she saw the spectators huddling around a circle, with two people in the middle of the ring. And that feeling only escalated when she saw one of the contenders.

     He had the dark hair that she'd constantly run her hands through; the arms that were usually wrapped around her waist; the eyes she'd look into so many times. The boy was currently sporting a black eye and looking straight at her — grinning.

    "Travis?" she let out. "What the hell are you doing?"

     She didn't usually curse, but in certain circumstances, some words just weren't strong enough to convey the feelings she wanted to convey. 

     Travis's million-dollar grin faltered. "You're not happy to see me, babe?"

    "Not when you have a black eye," she almost snapped. He flinched, and right after a second she felt immensely guilty. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I just — what were you thinking?"

    "I was thinking that he started it." Trav pointed his finger at who she assumed was his opponent. She couldn't contain her surprise.

    "Zach?" she exclaimed. All this time, Travis had been his biggest competition?

     The blond looked just as dumbfounded as she was. Except he had a nasty cut on his lip. "Lenny?" he frowned. "Wait, you know this douchebag?"

    "That's suppose to be my question," Travis growled, and he turned his head at her, his voice softening to a hiss. "Lenny, how do you know this guy?"

    "Uh." She bit her lip. "Yes?"

     He groaned at her vague answer. "He stole my wave, Len."

    "The first person to catch a wave has the right of way, asshole," Zach retorted from the back. "I've been telling you that it's on the surfers' protocol right there. Or did you not learn how to read?"

     El's heart raced, fear and anticipation of what Travis would do when he continued being provoked like that. But before she could make a move, Theo finally appeared in the middle of the ring and held a firm hand on Zach's shoulder. Effectively holding him back.