Chapter Twenty Six: How Do You Love Someone Without Getting Hurt

Tasha let out a scream as she thrashed against the bed, her eyes opening wide as she sat up, sweat covering her body. She let out another scream when she felt arms grab her, but calmed instantly when she realized it was just a nightmare.

"Tasha! What's wrong?!" Loki asked with concern, his eyes wide.

Tasha cried as she pulled him into a tight embrace. "You're alive! You're alive!"

"Tasha—"

"I — I thought I lost you again —" She sobbed, holding onto him for dear life. "You were d-dead! Please don't leave me again!"

"Shh, darling, I'm here. I'm here! It was just a nightmare." His lips met her temple as she tried to sooth her. "It wasn't real. It wasn't real."

Tasha's tears slowly came to a halt as she felt herself go numb. She slowly wiggled her way from Loki's grasp, not giving him a second glance.

"Where are you going?"

She simply held a book up to him before stepping into the living room, wiping the tears from her face. She refused to let that nightmare become reality.

•••

That afternoon Tasha had spent reading novels she had Loki magic herself from earth. She barely spoke a word to him.

"What are you reading, my love?" Loki asked as he stepped over to her. Tasha hummed in response, holding the cover of the book up so he could read it. "The Ballad Of Reading Gaol by Oscar Wilde. Would you read an excerpt for me?"

Tasha nodded, clicking her tongue as she searched for her favorite quote.

Yet each man kills the thing he loves

By each let this be heard

Some do it with a bitter look

Some with a flattering word

The coward does it with a kiss

The brave man with a sword.

Loki's expression fell when she recited the book. "Is there a reason you're reading it? It sounds depressing."

"It keeps me grounded. It reminds me." She sighed as she set it aside. "Have you gotten the Grandmasters security codes yet?"

"He isn't very trusting." Loki sighed before sitting next to his lover, pulling her into his arms. "I promise I'll get them somehow."

"We've been here too long already, Loki. I fear if we're here much longer we will be too late to save anyone." Tasha frowned, the images of her nightmare never quite leaving her.

"We will save our people. We will find Thor. Have faith, darling."

"Faith?" Tasha scoffed sadly. "Faith in what? How can you expect me to have faith in your empty promises? I am terrified that if I let myself trust you — let myself love you that you're just going to break my heart again."

Loki held onto Tasha tight, looking deeply into her eyes. "I love you with my entire soul. Believe me when I say I would not survive life without you."

"You already did."

"That wasn't living. I suffered every day you were not at my side. None of it was worth losing you. You're giving me a chance to prove myself, and I swear I won't let you down, my sweet."

Tasha looked at him warily, but leaned her head against his chest. "If you're going to hurt me, just kill me. I'd rather die than live in a world where you betray me again."