Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Napapitlag ako sa aking kinauupuan nang biglang bumukas ang pintuan. It was followed by heavy footsteps of Governor Armendanez. Mataman niya akong tiningnan sa mata bago niya isinara at ini-lock ang pintuan.

Suddenly, the atmosphere inside the room became heavy. Pinanuod ko siyang maglakad patungo sa aking kinauupuan. He pulled the chair across me and sat down without a word.

Governor Armendanez is one of the richest guy in our town. He owns Governor Generoso. With the power and influence that his family has, there is nothing impossible to do with him.

"It's been a while since we last met, huh?" he wondered out loud.

Iniwas ko ang aking tingin at hindi sumagot.

"Do not worry, Mallory Castillo. This conversation is not recorded. You can say whatever you want."

"What do you mean?" I asked bitterly.

"What I mean is hush money, dear." He leaned back into his chair and crossed his arms over his chest.

I clenched my fists. "You said that Leon's real mother couldn't come here. That's not true. She's long dead. Why would you lie?"

"I have reasons. And I'm not here to pummel you just like what my wife did. In fact, I'm here for a negotiation. For Leon's death."

Sumikip ang aking dibdib sa kaniyang sinabi. "What about it?"

"You killed him." He said firmly.

"I did not!" malakas kong ihinampas ang aking mga kamay sa lamesa at tinitigan siya nang masama. "I did not killed Leon. He shot himself and I can't do anything but watch and scream."

"Your fingerprints were found in the gun that killed my son. Could it be that the two of you were fighting with the gun and you successfully pulled the trigger right into his head?"

Napailing ako. "I could never do that to Leon."

"C'mon, Mallory. We both know how good you are with guns. Private lessons with Gideon Salvador . . . a silver card membership at Shoot Range . .  . won a few shooting contests and the likes."

"Are you accusing me of killing Leon, just like what everyone did, Governor?"

"Your story could be fabricated. Or it could also be true. That Leon, my pathetic child, finally snapped when he discovered that you're pregnant with other man. Christian Sage Monterio, yes?"

I pursed my lips. "Why? Does his name ring a bell to you? In case you don't remember, you tried to bomb the mansion of the Monterios, Governor." Mataman ko siyang tinitigan sa mga mata at pinigilan ang aking mga luha.

"Which didn't happen."

"Because my mother saw it and you killed her."

"Unintentionally." He corrected.

I was about to speak when he raised his pointing finger to hush me.

"We were only after the Monterios, Mallory. We don't mingle with the peasants. The likes of you and your mother. But she saw what we were planning and that left us no choice than to kill her before she opens her pretty little mouth."

"How dare you—" I tried to slap him but he was quick to grab my arms. Ibinagsak niya ito sa lamesa. I yelped in pain.

"Before you go haywire with the death of your mother, let's talk about my son first."

"I told you, I didn't kill Leon!" umagos na ang mga luha mula sa aking mata. "I may not have loved him the way he did to me, but I could never kill someone as good as him. Even if he loathes me for the rest of his life, I would accept it. But I will never pull the trigger on his head."

"Let's assume that your story is true," pinakawalan na niya ang aking kamay. I looked down on it. Red marks pulsated on my skin because of the tightness of his grip. "But the fact that Leon ended his life because of you . . . My, my, you still killed him one way or another. So, let's make a deal."

"What deal?" I gritted my teeth.

"We will not file a case against you for killing Leon in exchange for your silence of your mother's "accidental" death."

My eyes widened at his words. Napaatras ako mula sa kaniya.

"If you will try to fight me, Mallory Castillo, I will make sure that you and your baby will spend the rest of your lives rotting in jail. It's easy to pay the police money under the table, just like what I just did right now. You think you can fight with me right now?"

Tumulo ulit ang mga luha mula sa aking mata.

"You're a demon . . ." I cried silently.

"A clever demon, dear." Anito. "I'm being generous right now, Mallory. I could cover all the traces of your mother's death and have you die here in the prison in just one call. But I didn't. Instead, I gave you an option. You should be grateful with me."

Hindi ako nakasagot. All I could feel is hate and betrayal towards Governor Armendanez.

"So, do we have a deal now, Mallory Castillo?"

Ilang minuto bago ako nakasagot. I closed my eyes and wiped my tears away. I gently caressed the bump in my stomach. "In one condition."

"What?"

"Let me attend Leon's funeral."

Tinitigan ako nang masama ni Governor Armendanez. "You're asking for too much but . . . deal."

I rose up from my seat.

"And Mallory?"

I turned towards him. A ghost of smile appeared on Governor Armendanez' lips. "Your mother is not as innocent as you think."

---

"What did you two talked about?"

"Nothing." I mumbled. "Ang sabi nila'y iaatras na nila ang kaso laban sa akin."

"What?" Gideon eyed me suspiciously. "I'm sure that sick governor is planning something—"

"Enough, Gideon." Sage butted in, glaring at him. "Ang importante ngayo'y makakaalis na si Mallory sa presintong ito. I am going to take her home to the Philippines. She's not safe here anymore. Mallory and my baby."

Gideon clenched his jaw but did not said anything. Binalingan ako ni Sage. His eyes were dark and gloomy. He traced my lips with his fingers.

"I'm sorry, baby. I know how much you love this country but with everything that's happened . . . I think you should be safer with me in the Philippines."

I nodded my head.

Hinalikan ni Sage ang aking noo. "I am only doing this for you and the baby." He murmured against my skin.

Kinabukasan din ay nagligpit na kami ng mga gamit. I decided to take Suki with me and sell our house here in Japan. It's actually my shared house with Leon but since it's under my name and the Armendanez family doesn't want to take it, letting go of the house is the best thing to do.

"I know you're not okay, Mal . . ." wika ni Sage nang makaupo na siya sa aking tabi. There was a short announcement that echoed inside the plane before the passengers finally settled down on their seats. "And I wish . . . I really wish I could do something to take the pain away from you."

Ibinagsak ko ang aking tingin sa aking tiyan.

"But promise me, after Leon is buried, you'll try to live a normal life, yes? I will be by your side, Mal. It's not okay for the baby if you stress out too much. Ayokong may mangyaring masama sa iyo at sa anak ko."

"Yeah. Okay." I said silently.

"Mal . . ." napapitlag ako sa kaniyang basag na boses. Binalingan ko si Sage. "Please, for me?"

Isinandal ko ang aking ulo kay Sage at pumikit. Every time I close my eyes, Leon's image of shooting himself enters my mind. I let out a deep breath and tried to shake the image off my mind. "Okay, Sage. I will. I promise."

Sage wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer, making me feel safe after a long time. I could feel his hot breath fanning the top of my head. He rested his chin on my hair and we stayed on that position until the plane took off.