Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Well?" I grinned and gave him a twirl.

"It's beautiful, Mallory." He said and smiled tightly. Then he frowned. "But do you really have to wear that gown?"

"What?" I cocked an eyebrow. "You said it's beautiful!"

"Yes, but it's too . . . revealing." Aniya.

Sumimangot ako at tiningnang muli ang aking repleksiyon sa salamin. My body is clad in a backless deep red gown with a long slit to showcase my long legs.

He slumped on his seat and crossed his arms like a child. Napatawa ako sa kaniyang inakto. "We're going to a party, Mallory. There are lots of . . . people."

"Of course!" humalakhak ako. "It's a party, Leon. What would you expect?"

"I just don't want people to get the wrong idea, Mallory." He sighed and got up from his seat.

"It's okay . . ." nilapitan ko siya at hinalikan ang kaniyang panga. Leon wrapped his arms around my trimmed waist. "I'm a model, remember? I should be the darling of the crowd."

Napailing na lamang siya at napatingin sa kaniyang rolex sa kamay. "Let's go. We're going to be late for the party."

I linked my arms with him and we both headed out of the door. Naghihintay na ang kaniyang sasakyan na maghahatid sa amin papunta sa venue ng party. The wind is cold but it's nothing like Japan. Bigla kong na-miss ang nyebe sa Japan pagtapak ko pa lamang sa airport ng Pilipinas. If it weren't for Leon, I would rather stay in Japan than here.

"Tomorrow evening we're going to meet my father for a dinner." aniya habang inaalalayan ako papasok ng sasakyan. He occupied the seat next to me and shut the door close. "And . . ." he squinted on his iPad. "Someone would like to have a meeting with you, probably offer you a contract for modelling."

"Cancel it," I said, staring at my softly-manicured nails. "I have something else to do while I'm here in the country."

"Okay," aniya at itinago ang device. He leaned back and crossed his legs, grabbed a bottle of champagne and offered me a glass.

Tumawa ako. "Baka malasing tayo bago pa tayo makarating sa party,"

"C'mon . . ." aniya. "It's not like you're not a heavy drinker, babe. Heck, your alcohol tolerance is much better than mine!"

I took a sip of the red liquid and gazed at the car window. The traffic is so bad. I've stayed in Japan for just a few years that I've accustomed to their culture and way of life. In two days since I've left the country, I am already aching for the land of the rising sun.

Nang masilayan ko na ang venue ay inayos ko ang aking sarili. Leon offered his arms to me as we climbed out of the car. I linked my arms with him and prepared a sly smile as the media came closer to our vehicle. The flashes of their cameras nearly blinded my eyes as they took turns in taking pictures of the two of us. Until we entered the main function hall, some media are still trailing after us.

I immediately relaxed when they are out of sight. The soft melody entered my ears as we walked to our designated table. Pero bago pa man kami makarating doon ay may tumawag na kay Leon. A middle-aged businessman sauntered towards us, offered us a glass, and clapped Leon on the back.

"You've grown a lot!" he said with cheeks reddening. "I can't remember the last time I saw you, Leon. The next thing I know is you're planning to run for senatorial."

Nanigas ako sa kintatayuan ko pagkarinig ng kaniyang sinabi. I shot Leon a questioning look but he just ignored me. He smiled to the middle-aged man instead.