Prologue

The smell of cheap beer and cigarette filled my nostrils the moment I stepped into the dark house. Bodies of sweating, dancing bodies dominated the entire living area and it is impossible to say something without yelling or cussing over the loud music.

Wiping the sweat that had trickled on my forehead, I pushed my way through the crowd to look for the rich, brown hair of my girlfriend or even a glimpse of the diamond earrings she usually wears when she's out and partying.

Glancing at my phone again, I checked to see if she's replied or anything. None. Furious, I scrolled to her name on my contact's list and called her. My lips pursed in annoyance when someone shoved me and swayed away, smelling strongly of beer and if my hunch is right, weed.

I listened to the ringing of the call for a few times to no avail. She didn't answer it. The annoyance that has rooted at the pit of my stomach is now clawing its way up to my chest. If Aaric is messing up with me, I'll make sure that this twat of a cousin of mine will never see the next sunrise.

I called him instead. He answered on the first ring.

"Aaric." My lips went into a grim line when I heard the noisy background music and stepped away from the staggering couple, both flushed with alcohol and sharing wide grins to each other. "It's me. Christian."

"Hey, man. So, did you find her?"

"Are you even sure it's her you saw at the party? Because I'm telling you man, I don't have time for—"

"It's Jasmine, alright. She's at Kloe's party when I crashed in earlier. She didn't saw me, though. Tinawagan kita upang ipaalam sa iyo na nagsinungaling ang girlfriend mo sa family dinner nila. Kung ako sa iyo, hanapin mo na yun at nang makapag-usap kayong dalawa nang maayos."

I expelled a tired sigh. Just where the hell am I supposed to find her in this goddamn house? There are so many unfamiliar places and rooms I have yet to explore. I've been to Kloe's house a couple of times for parties like this, but never have I stepped into one of the rooms that filled their mansion.

"Alright."

"You can check the bedrooms, you know."

"She's not—"

"I'm just saying, man."

Annoyed, I ended the call immediately. It doesn't take a genius to know that Aaric is trying to say that my girlfriend is cheating on me. A muscle in my jaw twitched at the thought of it. It enraged me and fueled my already boiling anger. Jasmine is not that kind of a girl.

She grew up in a wealthy family. A well-bred, elegant girl with her mind set on the business at such a young age. Our relationship may have started off as a practical engagement for the fusion of both our companies, but I've come to love her as we spent more time together. What Aaric is saying that he's spotted her with some guy at a party when she's supposed to be with her family right now just doesn't make sense to me at all.

I shoved the phone inside my pockets and hurried upstairs, where the music is louder and the smell of beer stronger. There are four doors and one that obviously leads to a bathroom as I scanned the surroundings.

The blinking neon lights blinded me for a bit as I walked towards the hall, checking out room after room. I immediately shut the door closed as soon as I opened it when I spotted a couple making out on the floor and about to heat things up. Annoyed, I moved to the next door and twisted the doorknob open.

"—let go of me!"

My eyes squinted in the dark when I saw Jasmine on the bed, kicking some guy and thrashing around. One of her the thin straps of her dress was torn off, making my blood boil. Her dark eyes are filled with fear as she opened her mouth and a scream of help tore from his throat when the drunk guy lunged at her.

Before he could touch my girlfriend, I yanked the bastard's collar and punch him to the floor. He swore and wiped the blood that had spurted out of his nose as he glared at me.

"Sage..." Jasmine's voice broke as tears filled her eyes. I ignored her and grabbed the front of the guy's shirt.

"Who the hell are you?"

"I should be the one asking that. Who the hell are you to touch my girl?"

"Sage... let go of him! He's just drunk. Let's go..." Jas picked up one of her pumps and quickly put it in.

I turned to her and the guy grabbed the opportunity to jab me painfully on the ribs which has sent me staggering back a few steps. Cursing under my breath, I advanced towards him and punch the side of his face before my eyes caught glimpse of the gleam of the tip of his switchblade.

The electronic music continued to rock everyone, oblivious of the tension in this dark, cold room as we wrestled on the floor. I tried to grab the blade from him, but he was quick to rap my head against the foot of the bed. A string of curses left my mouth when I felt the tip of the blade slashing across my arms before it penetrated the side of my stomach.

Blood spurted out. A scream sounded inside the room. It must've been Jasmine or mine. I couldn't tell as my mind started to spin. I cursed and cupped my throbbing wound. Alarm blared inside of my head that I needed to protect her, no matter what.

I grabbed the guy's ankles before he could near my girl again and let go of my wound. The two of us were caught in a knot of thrashing limbs and blade on the floor, my blood spotting on his shirt and his sweat raining down my face before I managed to grab the switchblade and thrust it to his chest.

"Oh my God! Sage!" Jasmine shrieked, frightened and trembling.

My eyes widened in fear. Cold fear trickled on my back as the guy's weight collapsed on me. For a few seconds, I didn't move. He stopped moving either. Only my sharp, struggling breathing can be heard inside the room and Jasmine's uncontrollable sobs that made me realize what I've done.

I've killed someone. At 17, I've got blood on my hands and I've killed someone.