Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Sage!" I cried, running into him and throwing my arms around his neck. He chuckled, his deep voice vibrating on his chest as he hugged me back.

Emotions started to overwhelm me. I could smell his aftershave and his usual minty scent. Ipinikit ko ang mga mata ko at isinandal ang ulo ko sa dibdib niya, wondering if the surgical wound is now a small scar after a long time.

After a few minutes, I pulled away from him and grinned like an idiot. He scowled. "You smell like beer." Puna niya.

Embarrassed, I took a step back from him pero mabilis niyang hinila ang braso ko. Napatingin ako kamay niyang mahigpit na nakahawak sa kaliwa kong braso.

"Where have you been, Mal? A party?" a hint of amusement twinkled in his eyes. "I didn't know you're such a party girl, Mallory."

Ngumuso ako at tinampal ang kanyang dibdib, like I always do. "Tumakas lang ako."

I breathed a sigh of relief when he finally let go of my arms. He circled around the bed. Pinagpagan niya ito bago siya naupo. Ako naman ay bumalik sa kanyang bintana at tuluyan na itong binuksan para makaupo ako sa sill.

"You're back." I can't seem to keep the smile off my face.

"Yeah." Tamad niyang sagot. "Happy to see me, now?"

Blushing furiously, I turned my gaze away from him. Get a grip of yourself, Mallory! Ang saya-saya mo ata eh...

I swallowed and desperately racked my brain for another topic to steer our conversation away from my overwhelming emotions now that he's back.

"Kumusta ka na? I never thought you're going to come back, to be honest," wika ko.

He shrugged. "Well, shit happens. I'm here again." He sighed. "Galit si Dad sa akin."

"Why?"

"Because I wouldn't get back with Jasmine."

My breath was caught in my throat with what he said. A grim look crossed his face, emphasizing his distraught. "Bakit?" I asked faintly.

"You don't need to know." He muttered angrily.

It was clear he didn't want to talk about it. I cleared my throat and think of another topic again. "Ayos na ba ng sugat mo?"

He looked surprised that I even remembered it. "Yeah." He said slowly.

"That's good. What were you up to these past few years? Wala man lang akong balita sa iyo." I couldn't hide the pain in my voice.

Sage didn't seem to notice it though because his eyes drifted far away as if he's lost in his thoughts. "You know, same shit, different day," he shrugged. "I had a baby sister and the way she cries and demands everybody's attention, I knew she's going to grow up as a brat."

"Baby sister? That's really great!" I couldn't imagine Sage attending to her little sister. Siguro ay papabayaan niya lang itong umiyak kapag gusto nitong magpalambing o maaasar lang siya sa tinis ng kanyang boses.

I silently giggled to myself. Will he act like that to his own child?

Nawala ang ngiti sa mga labi ko sa naisip. Sage is giving me a funny look. "Why are you smiling to yourself? Are you crazy?"

Umiling ako at tumawa. "May naisip lang ako."

"You're in college now, right?"

"Yep! Industrial engineering. First-year pa lang ako..."