Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Umiling-iling ako habang tumutulo ang aking mga luha. "H-Hindi totoo yan..." I whimpered.

She scoffed. "Fine. If you don't want to believe, then don't." Sage's mother gave me a deadpanned look. "But you're only going to make it worse for yourself. Feel free to wait for Sage all night and let's see if he's going to come."

I pursed my lips and tried to blink back my tears but it's useless. Mas lalo lamang akong naiyak sa kaniyang sinabi. Mrs. Monterio crossed her arms over her chest.

"What? Are you gonna cry here all night? You should go home to your mother, young lady. Just accept the fact that you're never going to have Sage for you... never."

I swallowed a sob and turned away immediately. Hindi ko na siya pinagsalita pa. I ran away from her, flooded with tears. I keep on crying as I ran until I reached their rice field. I screamed out loud and huffed heavily. Dumarami na ang mga luhang tumatakas sa aking mata. My chest rose up and down rapidly.

"Sage!" I screamed out loud, frantically looking for him. It's not true, isn't it? What his mother said? He's out there, probably waiting for me. Hindi niya ako iiwan diba? "Sage..." I whimpered and fell to the ground. I hugged my knees to my chest as the sobs wrecked my body. I couldn't believe my ears! Hindi totoo iyon!

Time must've been playing with me because it ticked slowly in my darkest hours. Hindi ko alam kung ilang minuto akong nakaupo at umiiyak. My hands are trembling. Nang mahimashimasan ako ay pinilit kong tumayo at maglakad pabalik sa bahay.

My mother is right. She's right about everything. She knew what's going to happen to me all along.

Hindi ko mapigilan ang mapaiyak ulit. What would my mother say if she sees me in this situation? I want to hug her so bad and just lay in my bed right now. Gusto kong kalimutan ang sinabi ni Mrs. Monterio. Even though a bigger part of me still wanted to go back to the terminal and wait some more, I dragged myself to our house.

My feet are tired when our house came into view. Patay ang ilaw ngunit bukas ang aming pintuan. I frowned and fastened my pace towards the front porch.

"Ma?" garalgal ang aking boses. I switched on the lights. Ang kaniyang bag ay nasa sofa pa rin. I slipped the backpack off my shoulder and walked towards her room. Kinatok ko ito nang ilang beses. "Mama?"

But no one answered.

Kinabahan kaagad ako. I twisted the doorknob and opened the door only to find out that my mother is not inside. I furrowed my brows as I brush my tears away.

"Ma..." I scanned the surroundings. Pinuntahan ko ang aking kwarto na nagkalat ang mga gamit ngunit wala siya. I checked the kitchen and checked her room twice. Napatingin ako sa mga librong malinis na nakapatong sa lamesa ng aming terasa. She must've picked it up before she left somewhere.

Oh God, was she looking for me?

Dinalaw ng takot at matinding pag-aalala ang aking puso nang maisip ko iyon. Kaagad akong lumabas ng bahay at nag-isip kung saan puwedeng pumunta si Mama para hanapin ako. I need to find her and tell her I'm fine. I need to apologize to my mother right now.

I composed myself first. Think, Mallory. Think.

The woods is engulfed with darkness. Napag-desisyunan kong magpunta sa mansion ng mga Monterio. My mother probably went there to see if I'm with Sage. Tinahak ko ang madilim na daanan patungo sa kanilang mansiyon.

I was halfway through the forest when I saw a man in black suit standing from a distance. Monterio's men? Napatigil ako sa paglalakad. The atmosphere is so thick. My breath was caught in my throat when he lifted his right arm with a gun.