Chapter Twenty Eight - If You Ever Come Back.

Magnus slid the key to his apartment into the lock with trembling hands, all the way home he had been unable to hide the grin from his face. He stepped into his flat and scooped Chairman Meow into his arms from where the cat was sat on the mat by the front door. The cat stared up at him as Magnus grinned, "Today is a really good day, Chairman!" He said, kicking the front door shut behind him. He span in a circle, laughing as the Chairman miaowed indignantly. "He might be coming home Chairman!" Magnus cheered, "Alec!" He buried his face into his cat's fur as he sat down on the sofa. "Shall we make the flat look special for him?" Magnus asked, the Chairman rubbed his face on Magnus's hand and purred. "I'll take that as a yes."

Magnus clicked his fingers and the stereo in the far corner of the room began playing; he set to work with a grin. Heading towards his room, he opened the wardrobe in the corner of his room. From the bottom of it he pulled out a large cardboard box, Chairman Meow was sat by Magnus's feet as he brought the box into the living room. He opened it and began pulling out the photos he had hidden inside them, he smiled to himself and began setting them back in their places in his flat.

'If you're standing with your suitcase,

But you can't step on the train,

Everything's the way that you left it,

I still haven't slept yet.

And if you're covering your face now,

But you just can't hide the pain,

Still setting two plates on the,

Counter but eating without you.'

Magnus was almost finished with the box of photos now and there was just one left inside. He picked it up and turned it over to glance down at the image. The photo had been taken while he and Alec were in France together on holiday and it was one of the photos Alec had actually participated in without caring what people had thought of them. Magnus could remember that day better than anyone, other than Alec:

'They were stood in front of the Eiffel Tower, Magnus's arms were wrapped tightly around Alec's waist as a photographer took the photo. Magnus had been able to speak French a lot better than Alec so he'd let Magnus speak for him with the man for the photo as Alec went to stare over at the view. Magnus had always found Alec's inability to speak in French very adorable. But Alec had always told him it was embarrassing. The sun was beginning to set the sky tinged a pink-orange colour as it lowered itself in the sky. "You look lost." Magnus said as he joined Alec, wrapping an arm over his shoulders, holding him closer. "We made these memories for ourselves. We don't have to worry about your mom will say to us when we get back."

"I wasn't worried about what she'd think." Alec retorted hurriedly.

"You were. I could see it on your face." Magnus sighed, pressing his lips to Alec's briefly. "Please just stop worrying, promise me."

Alec nodded, "I promise. I just don't want to lose you because of her."

"I won't ever let you go." Magnus sighed, embracing his boyfriend.

"Say something to me." Magnus whispered, still holding tightly onto Alec. Alec frowned in confusion, a look Magnus thought was cute. "In French." Magnus clarified, Alec's eyes widened as he shook his head vigorously, "You know I don't speak French very well. No." Alec said, Magnus sighed with a pout, "But I find it adorable."

"It's not adorable. It's embarrassing." Alec argued, with a smile as a blush coloured his cheeks in scarlet.

"Please?" Magnus asked, kissing Alec's cheek. "For me?" Alec rolled his eyes and turned to face Magnus, "For you." He said, and began to say a long line of French, blushing. Although he had gotten some of it wrong, Magnus didn't care, he'd understood the gist of what Alec had been trying to say and it meant a lot. "See. Adorable." Magnus smiled. "Je t'aime. Tu es mon monde. When you decipher that, let me know."

Alec grinned, "Does it mean this?" He asked, reaching towards Magnus and pressing their lips together. Magnus was shocked, Alec rarely ever made the first move at times like this. By the time he'd reacted Alec had pulled away and Magnus pouted. Alec laughed, "Well, did it mean that?"

"Yes." Magnus replied, placing his lips back on Alec's.'

Magnus's smile widened at the memory as he stood to place the photo in his hands on the bedside table in his room, where he'd be able to view it when he woke. His hands brushed Alec's set of keys and an idea flew into his head, as the song sang:

'I'll leave the door on the latch,

If you ever come back, if you ever come back,

There'll be a light in the hall and the key under the mat,

If you ever come back,

There'll be a smile on my face and the kettle on,

And it will be just like you were never gone,

There'll be a light in the hall and the key under the mat,

If you ever come back if you ever come back now,

Oh if you ever come back if you ever come back.'

Magnus hurriedly moved the mat outside of his flat and slipped Alec's keys underneath it with a smile on his face he returned to his living room. Chairman Meow was stretched out on the sofa, lazily watching Magnus with half closed eyes, "Thank you for your help Chairman!" Magnus said sarcastically as he clicked his fingers, a glitter loaded banner spread across the ceiling, it read: 'Welcome Home, Alec!!' Magnus sat down on the sofa with a sigh of relief as his mobile buzzed.

*****

Alec sat watching Jace and Isabelle as they got ready to head out to Pandemonium again. Maryse was packing, she was heading back to Idris and Alec would be alone in the Institute. He stood to help Jace with his runes on his left arm, hurriedly drawing Strength, Healing, Speed and Agility runes on Jace's skin. "Are you sure you'll be okay?" Jace asked for the third time that night, "I can ask Clary to come over?"

"Jace I'm eighteen, I'm not a baby. I can take care of myself for a few hours." Alec replied handing Jace back his Stele when the last of the runes was complete. "I'll be fine." He smiled to show he meant it. Jace's eyes narrowed suspiciously at him, "Okay," He said finally, reaching into his jeans pocket and holding out the bottle of Alec's tablets, "but promise me - I mean really promise - that you will take these if you need to."

Alec sighed but didn't argue as he took the bottle from Jace, "I swear on the Angel, I'll take them." He said.

Seeming satisfied, Jace stopped pestering him and allowed Alec to return to sit back on the sofa with the mug of coffee he had placed on the table. Isabelle smiled over at Alec as she wrapped her snake whip around her right wrist, "He just worries about you." She said as Jace left the room momentarily to collect his mobile from his bedroom.

"I know." Alec sighed, twisting his mobile over and over in his hands. "But I'll be fine Iz. I have your numbers if I need you." Jace returned back into the room with his mobile in one hand and a slip of paper in the other. "What's that?" Alec asked, Jace glanced down at the paper, "The first real girl's number you'll ever have on your phone. Isabelle and Magnus don't count." He grinned as Isabelle stuck her tongue out at him, "It's Clary's. If you need her, call her. I told her to have her phone on just in case."

"Jace," Alec sighed, "I'll be fine."

"I know... but just in case." He placed the slip down on the table, "I won't be long." Alec nodded and waved them goodbye, Isabelle pulled him into a hug and followed Jace from the room.

Alec waited a few minutes until he heard the front door slam, he stood heading over to the window to watch Jace and Isabelle leave. He waited until they were out of sight and opened a text message. He hurriedly typed:

Alec: I'm ready to talk.

Magnus replied with: Where and when?

Alec typed: The Institute and now. He smiled and placed his phone back into his pocket, he just hoped he wasn't making a mistake.